1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Korean General Chosun Dynasty 16 AD

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Jul 19, 2012.

1. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Before I go on vacation from 27 july I really wanted to finish this awesome bust from Legend. It is a 200 mm and the sculpt is fabulous. Maybe a classic I really don't know.
    Everything is painted in oils and printers inkt on a layer of acrylic.
    Let me hear some critism on this one. And yes, I'am glad he is finished. I'm crosseyed now :D
    warlord 011 (Medium).jpg warlord 008 (Medium).jpg warlord 009 (Medium).jpg warlord 010 (Medium).jpg
  2. Tarracus A Fixture

Like it! Very colorfull piece, asian skintones very well achieved, but maybe lips are too red and shiny for my taste.( I hope that point won't be enough to ruin your holidays:p)
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Marc. Very hard to critise a figure that turned out so well.
  4. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very nicely done. However I do agree about the lips and for me personally the beard hair is the wrong colour.
  5. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thanks Guys,
    Ken, what color would you paint? Black, Grey, I tryed that but it didn't manage with the whole figure.

marc
  6. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Marc I just do not think the hair colour is suitable for somebody of the Korean race. It is also too close to the shade of the fur on the helmet. I personally would have based in black and highlighted accordingly.
  7. Tarracus A Fixture

Hi Marc, I think Ken is right about hair tones.. I suggest you this:
    htonesjpg.jpg
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Marc, I like what you have done, the armour and the detail work is excellent. I dont mind the beard colour but if you run a black oil wash into it, it would darken it and give a bit more of an Asian feel to it
    Ben
  9. Don Well-Known Member

Wonderful peice of painting on this figure Marc, really like what you have done with him and his armour. I also think if you like lovely shiney lips, thats up to you, perhaps he just licked his lips before you painted them.
    Having worked and been in Korea for some time I think the biys are correct about the hair. Like Ford said, any colour you like as long as its black!
    Lovely work though. I like it!

Don
  10. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thanks for all the input guys. What the beard concerns. It is more black ( in fact raw umber) then the picture let see. The last pictures looks more as it is.
    Gonna try a black wash to darken it more.
    The glossy lips, not so in reality. I think the photolights are tricken the lips.

marc
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Nice work Marc.
    That's a lot of individual scales to paint! No wonder you need a holiday...

Adrian
  12. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    thanks Adrian. Still 1 week to go for hard labour.

Marc
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Beautiful job!!!! The laquered helmet and scale armour are fantastic but most of all I love the job you did on the skintone... very subtle and realistic. The others are right about the beard/hair colour... I'd go with the cool black base (from Gerard's examples) and touch with grey stands to show the general's age and experience.

Overall I think this is a beautiful piece... Great work:notworthy:

Colin
  14. salonikios Active Member

Greece
    nicely done Marc (y)

theo
  15. jan willem stokkers Member

Netherlands
    Saw it at FB and Twenot forum and looks great Marc!!! Hope to see it at SMC2012 edition, okay you said you would come so i can take a look at it. Hope we can talk a bit more on working with oils. Hope you have a nice vacation!!!(y)

Gr.JW
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Marc ,wonderful job!.
    I have to agree with one of the comments that the lips look to red and shiny, but the armor looks just crazy good to me.
    cheers
  17. megroot PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thank Guys.
    Glad you like him. Well, so many comments on the beard :eek:, so this is gonna change tomorrow evening in black with grey.

Marc
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    If you feel the beard needs to be lighter as befits the older gent you could add grey/white Lord knows I speak from experience there. Personally I think it looks fine
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Marc,
    Nicely done and hope you had a good vacation.
    Cheers
    John