1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review "Kohana" from RobotRocket Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by kagemusha, Nov 18, 2017.

1. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When I saw this piece in 'Figure News' a few weeks back, it really grabbed me!

1.jpg

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/robot-rocket-news.112564/

I hadn't previously heard of RobotRocket Miniatures, so didn't have anything to go by regarding overall quality of product. None the less I placed my pre-order by e-mail, and soon got a nice reply from 'Matty', telling me that I would receive her early in November. We conversed by e-mail over the next few weeks, with Matty keeping me up to date on the progress of my order. Unfortunately for us, Royal Mail decided to mess us about! Throughout this period Matty kept in constant touch to find out if she had arrived, which I consider to be excellent customer service by any standards.
    Well, she arrived this morning safe and sound, so I decided it would be a good subject for an open box review.

continues in next post.....
    Borek likes this.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It arrived in a well padded envelope. Inside this was a strong black box with the companies logo on.

1.jpg

Removing the lid revealed the 'story' card, beneath which was a piece of black foam.

2.JPG

Removing the card and foam revealed the kit parts, which were lying on a bed of shredded black paper.
    The main torso was also wrapped in bubble wrap, which I removed for the purpose of the pictures.

3.jpg

Along with the main body and the two arms you can see a small ziploc bag containing the helmet crest and face mask.

4.jpg

continues in next post......
    Borek, oldtrousers and Viking Bob like this.
  3. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Everything was well protected, with no missing or broken parts, a good start.
    Upon lifting the parts out for closer inspection, what immediately struck me was the quality of the casting. This has to be some of the best sculpting and casting I have personally seen in years.
    Looking at the parts, even under an illuminated magnifier, I could find no seam/mould lines anywhere.
    Detail on this kit is some of the finest I have ever seen, and I only wish I had a much better camera, as the pictures do not do it justice at all.
    Here are the pictures of the parts, starting with the main body....

8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg

Next up, the arms...

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

continues in next post.....
    Richie, Helm, Borek and 3 others like this.
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Conclusions.
    Packaging is easily up to the best standards.
    Casting is superb even by todays standards.
    Overall presentation exudes quality of product, with obvious care and attention to details.

Personal thoughts.
    During my conversations with Matty, what came across strongly, was his desire to please the customer.
    In this day and age, that is a rare criteria for some companies.
    As said, this company was new to me but, based on my experience, I would not hesitate to buy from them again, and have no hesitation in recommending them to members here.

I intend to use this piece for an SBS on here in the near future.

Ron
    Helm, KuK_Grenadier and Old johnny like this.
  5. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

I am excited to see the sbs...really like the look of it...it’s not cartoonish at all..will investigate and see into one to follow along the sbs
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am really looking forward to working on this one...I have a couple of new techniques to try out....along side some details I am itching to add ;)
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks very nice , there is no reason why others can't cast to this quality in the historical side of the hobby as it is ever present in the fantasy world
    Helm and Old johnny like this.
  8. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Just sent an inquiry to Matt...seeing if he ships to Canada..
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Absolutely Mr T (y)

Will catch up with ya soon mate :)
  10. ranchhand Active Member

United-States
    i just received mine the other day, outstanding quality!
  11. evl hmr Member

United-Kingdom
    This is only the second release from Matt at RR, but he has some very exciting future releases that I am sure will be of or surpass the quality of Ko Hana. Thank you for the unboxing, it really is a unique idea for a bust and I look forward to seeing how you paint her. If anyone is interested, there are a few painted versions in the facebook group Eavier Metal