1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Knight of holy sepulchre

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mariner, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    Hello all,
    Now that PF is back, I can post my almost-finished KHS. In the middle of taking the photos, the standard pole broke:(so have to fix that. Still some touchups but I'm much encouraged by how he turned out; a beautiful sculpt for sure.
    I've also included a pic from the previous day's work (the black one).
    As the hole in his right hand didn't go all the way through, I cut the pole and fitted the bottom and then the top, which made the top heavier when I added the standard. Not sure that was the right way to do it.
    In case Colin drops in, I have a little hair left after making the reins; what a nightmare:eek:
    Your comments are always welcome,
    Mary

Attached Files:

gordy likes this.
  2. Ethan Active Member

United-States
    Very nice! the whites are superbly blended and the horse looks fantastic! I only have one critique and it is terribly minor. The symbol on the shield seems a bit rough or thick; I know it's really hard to change but maybe with a prismacolor fine tip pen or something fine, of a darker red you could go into the symbol and outline it inside the original art. It would tighten up the graphic and you could make it look straight as you want or curvy if you want. Just a thought! Beautiful work :)
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    very nice work Mary.

marc
  4. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    thank you, Ethan; I never thought of that! I keep trying to paint them freehand and it's really tough.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Mary,
    Tommi Warton has great stencils to paint heraldy with straight lines. If i had to paint heraldic i always use them.

Marc
    Ethan likes this.
  6. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    That has really come on now Mary, the mail looks much better.
    You could tidy the shield heraldry using the base colour. But that's just a nit pick.
    Carl.
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Mary,
    Look very nice. It sounds like the hand should have had the hole go all the way through. Is it possible to still drill it and then use a metal rod for the pole? That way the standard will not have all the weight on the glue joint.
    Excellent finish.
    Cheers
    John
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done Mary, Great horse. now you see why I leave the reins until the end... and wear a hat while I do them.

Again well done

Colin
  9. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Mary

You achieved a very nice result with this rather complicated kit. For instance I like the way you have weathered the whites and the horse looks very good too.

I am sorry to read that the pole of the standard broke off after so much work done. No worries though, we all have been there. It is nothing that cannot be repaired after a few curses and a healthy dose of patience! In that respect John's advice is well to be considered.

Regarding the heraldry: stencils from Tommy are a possibility but I use another method. I cut out the basic shape in decorator's tape and stick it there where the heraldry should come. Then it is just going around the shape with a sharp and hard pencil, remove the tape and fill in the colours. Pretty much the same as little children do in their colour books :) . What I like most on this method is that the cut out shape follows the creases and folds as the real thing does.

To end, you really can be proud on this effort!

J;)han
    Ethan likes this.