1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Knight Hospitaller c.1250, 75mm original

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is something unusual for me, a knight! After recently splashing some paint on Elite Miniatures Norman Knight by Latorre I got an interest in doing another knight piece. What initially started out as a mounted 54mm figure turned into a 75mm single figure. What happened was I had a mannequin laying around that had already been posed so I thought I'd try some chain mail, and instead of a test to try out the chain mail technique it turned into a whole figure.

Another thing about the figure is that it is 100% scratchbuilt, I need to learn to sculpt heads better so have made a vow to try it more often. Once the bare head was finished I made a mould of it and the helmet and used Resin copies on the figure. Too much work to do another helmet should the occasion arrise!

All in all it has been a super fun figure to do, and I am looking forward to get started painting on it this weekend.

It's sculpted with Magic Sculpt, Lead Foil and Pro Create was used for the chain mail.

A huge Thank You goes out to Mr. Mike Spivey, aka Renarts here on the forums. He spent a few hours on the phone with me discussing the various pieces of equipment and how they were used etc. Thanks man, really appreciate all your help!!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

Mike Stevens, Marcel, tbolt7 and 16 others like this.
  2. ghamilt1 PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Great job Anders, I can't wait to see you get some paint on this one.
  3. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anders,
    The knight figure is superb and a good head sculpt too. The chainmail has really worked (I can see why you continued the full figure) and the effect of the unclothed hand out of the mitten is a clever touch. I have been checking pf and the bench for ages to see what you have been working on lately and now I can see where the time has been spent - that chainmail must have taken ages.
    Looking forward to seeing the painted version - any chance you can make a few notes of your mixes etc for the armour.
    Thanks for posting.
    Cheers Mat
  4. Joseph Brubaker New Member

United-States
    Nice Sculpt....................
  5. came Member

Italy
    splendido, veramente spettacolare. great
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Excellent sculpt Anders ,IMHO I think this would do very well as commercial release.I for one would love to paint it.

Cheers David
  7. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    very very cool. Excellent work and as you know I like knights. keep those knights coming :)
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very cool Anders, nice work on the mail (y)

I like the head and the straps on the back of the legs
  9. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!! It was a fun figure to sculpt and also a fun one to paint!! I have the figure about 75% finished now and will post pictures of it once finished.

Mat,

The chainmail was surprisingly simple. A tool made from a hyperdermic needle which was filed down to a "C" shape with a thin brass rod inserted in the center of it made the job fairly simple. I'm not thrilled about the 'lines' through out the chainmail, but it was the first time I tried it so I hope to be able to get better at it over some time.

Thanks again guys!
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    nice job Anders, looking forward to seeing your painted version.

Steve
  11. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Excellent work Anders, well done.
  12. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice Anders. I really like the chain mail and the detail on the back of the legs. The head is sculpted very well too.

I can't wait to see the painted version. Will it be done for MFCA?

Thanks,

Mike
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent creation Anders!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  14. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thats guys! The figure is actually finished now, all that it needs is a name plate. I will bring it to SCAHMS this weekend. I'll have it for MFCA as well Mike.

I'll post some pictures later today.