1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Knight Hospitaler

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Normo, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gang
    The finished thing, still could not get a complete matt finish, so he has been caught in a shower! but must move on to other things!

Very satifactory figure to do and would recommend him to paint. At one stage I was going to strip him down and start again!

Perhaps will one day......

As usual comments welcome

Next up Dante by Figuralia looking forward to it immensely

As usual comments welcome
    Cheers

John

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Very nice work! This is one of those peices that really stand out when done well.
  3. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    nice work mate. i believe the colors look shiny because of photo flash tho?
    nice black!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work John,
    I think that the picture is not as good as the piece in real life.

Marc
  5. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi John
    Great figure. Magnificent paint job
    Pete
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Nice work John!

The eyes is very good and lifelike.
    The hightlights below the cheeks on both sides looks a litte bit odd though, at least to me, especially on the first picture. Perhaps you could tone down them a little with a filter and I think they should not run all the way down to the cheek but rather stop around the area where the upper lips starts?

Looking forward to see your rendition of Dante.

Cheers
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Sorry, doubble posting.
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work John. Whats next on your bench?
  9. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the comments

Marc;-You are dead right the photos dont do it justice When it sat on my bench I thought "Not bad" but the photos seem to put a different light on it, Its all a learning curve!

Periklis;- Yes the flash does make him look a lot more shiney than he is, I wrestled with various varnishes but to no avail, Lets move on..

Uruk;-Thanks for your comments I thought at the time that the cheek highlights were a bit bright so I ran a wash over the whole face and they stll were quite bright so I decided to stop before I did any damage! Chickened out is the expression!LOL

PJ;- Yes a really enjoyable bust to paint I would recommend it to anybody

Guy;-Thanks mate, next up the bust of Dante by Figuralia, Looks a real beauty I hope I can do justice to it

Anybody tell me where I can buy marble paint!
    Cheers Gang
    John
  10. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    John, the reason why your not that impressed with the images of it, is 'cos of your use of flash. The use of flash photography is a cardinal sin when it comes to photographin' your work.
    I always take images of my work outside, and in the shade if the sun is shinin'. Here in the UK we can take full advantage of our overcast days, 'cos this light is the best in this respect. The sky is our lightbox, why not use it!

I'm quite sure with natural light your work will look ten times better.
  11. Normo Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul
    Believe it or not I do not use flash! I use a lamp with a daylight bulb in to light the figure and operate the camera without flash

Perhaps I am getting the lamp too close to the figure

It is usually positioned above and slightly at the front probably about 9/10inches away

I will experiment a bit and move the lamp away

I must admit I am never happy with my photography results I only have a cheap camera without macro mode any hints and tips would be useful Its all about learning even at my age!LOL

Cheers Paul

John
  12. paulyrichard New Member

United-Kingdom
    No worries. I studied photography in college. :D Check your PM.