1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Knight - a flat bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bastian H., Sep 6, 2010.

1. Bastian H. Active Member

Germany
    Hello,
    this is another attemp to paint a flat bust with acrylics.
    Currently, I have some problems to paint the armor in non metallic.
    Hope to manage these problems soon.
    Cheers
    Bastian

Attached Files:

napoleonpeart, SRP, sarouman and 5 others like this.
  2. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bastian, great start and very neat and tidy work. Will follow.

Cheers Ken
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I know that feeling very well but it looks good so far.

Roger.
  4. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very nice!

Mark
  5. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You have made an entrance.
    Carl.
  6. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Bastian
    looking very good.
    I'm currently painting Federicus Rex's 'Vor Jerusalem' and the armour is driving me nuts.
    Regards
    Derek
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    This is really nice seeing the progress (y) thanks for sharing !
  8. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Well done, sir! The face is outstanding. Who's bust is that and where do I get one?

Edit: Oops, I found it Troste 80mm 'Ritter um 1380'.

Cheers back at ya,

Glen
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Looking great so far.................can anyone tell me why there seems to be this rule about not using metallic paints on Flats? does this apply to printers inks also?

Keith
  10. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith, I'd be interested to see inks used as well.. but then again, it may not have the desired effect in the 2D/flat canvas

I would venture it's due to the relation index of reflection, for example, chrome being the top of the scale, having mirror like properties and brushed steel at the opposite end of the spectrum.
  11. clubcat Member

England
    Very nicely done again, Bastian.

I don't believe there are rules against using metallics on flats, you can create a better definition and illusion of depth using non-metal metals.

Melanie
  12. Bastian H. Active Member

Germany
    Many thanks. In respect to flats using metallics is possible. But I share the last remarky by Melanie, too. It is this illusion of depth. You can find a lot of examples from the Old Dutch painting school.

Bastian
  13. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Keith, as was pointed out, there are no rules. Since it's a hobby, you use whatever means you like and are comfortable with. Some folks like non-metallic metal techniques; others like metallic paints, it's no big deal. Personally, I like dark gunmetals and washes for chain mail and polishing and staining (with oil paints) the kit metal for plate armor and weapons' blades.

Call me a rebel... :)

Cheers,

Glen
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent start. Nothing wrong with the metals.

Marc
  15. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Thanks for your comments regarding metallics on flats. The reason for the question is that when I have mentioned it occasionally there has been a sharp intake of breath, tut tutting and head shaking as though I had breached some sort of holy grail.
    I suppose it depends how much you want to challenge yourself, what you are happy with and ultimately your skill level.

Keith
  16. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I could see where flatists would inflect a less than positive response to your consultation, your last sentence could easily be mis-interpreted!

Linked here is a stunning example of 2d metal painting :

http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-lessons/watercolor/painting-metal-watercolour.html
  17. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Gordy,

Thanks for the link...as you say a wonderful demonstration.

Keith
  18. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Keith, I wouldn't worry about the 'sharp intake of breath, tut tutting and head shaking'. Like politics and religions, hobbies have no shortage of folks who are resistant to change and innovation. The 'old ways are best, no matter what' mentality is firmly entreched throughout history and human society. Nevertheless, time and technology march on. Styles change; thinking evolves. I remember when casting figures in resin instead of metal was viewed as a sacrilege by many. Ditto for using acrylics instead of oils. Sculpting flats from putty instead of casting them from traditional engraved slate molds is viewed with outright disdain by a few 'flatists' (never heard that term before). I also remember when photo-etch and resin started to become an integral part of plastic scale modeling detailing at first, then whole kits. The IPMS had to rethink some of their rules.

Remember, figure painting is very much an art form. There is a point where the objective - that which is technically correct - begins to take a back seat to the subjective - that which is pleasing to the eye. And pleasing, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. In this case, you. Hobbies are one of the few things in life which are all about the individual. You. You paint what you want, when you want, to the degree of satisfaction you want, using the tools and materials you want. There's no requirement to please others or follow someone else's 'rules'.

And FWIW, I still run into local MG enthusiasts who insist my Midgets aren't real MGs because their design was a collaborative effort between Austin-Healey and MG. Makes me want to beat them with a rubber bumper (they don't like them either, so there's a bit of irony there).

Bitchin' bust, any more in the pipeline?

Cheers,

Glen
  19. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Hello Bastian! Any updates or further progress on your knight?

Cheers,

Glen
  20. Bastian H. Active Member

Germany
    Hi Glen,
    Sorry no. The bust is still waiting for some more paint
    Cheers,
    Bastian