1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Kit Review - Friulmodellismo

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Dan Morton, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Since both of these are from the same maker, in the same scale, both Great War figures, I'm going to combine the reviews. Incidentally 90mm is my personal favorite scale! I wish there were more figures made in this scale!

The good stuff -
    - the sculpting and casting are VERY high quality with small amounts of flash, the faces each give the figures individuality and character - the Italian face is jolly, the Austrian face is taciturn or possibly just very attentive - a sentry maybe
    - the sculpting and casting of the equipment, rifles, etc., are also VERY high quality, but there is a little more flash to deal with - not an excessive amount
    - the pieces go together mostly with minimal effort, a couple require minor surgery
    - interesting subjects - There just are not many larger scale figures of Italian or Austro-Hungarian soldiers. More historical 'color' and interest in the mountain troops of both countries vs. regular infantry.
    - opportunities to paint and work with different types of uniforms and equipment, do some different research, etc. Climbing equipment, ice cleats on the boots, etc.
    - the boxes and the way the figures are packed are very good. Very little opportunity for anything to be damaged in shipment or packing.
    - each have a 1 page bxw line drawing and text instruction that gives you a fair color chart referencing Humbrol enamels and Italian language references

[IMG]
    Austro-Hungarian Kaiserschutze in Pike Grey uniform with mountain equipment - front view

[IMG]
    back view

[IMG]
    Italian Alpini in Grigio Verde uniform with mountain equipment - front view

[IMG]
    back view

The not so good stuff -
    - Neither kit references the sculptor [very deserving of mention!!!] or the box art painter [or painters - looks like 2 different ones] I really don't like this anonymity! Commercial figure makers should give credit to both sculptors and painters! I can imagine all the 'business' reasons that would be given against crediting them. Hooey!
    - PRICE - Both of these cost far too much! $42.95 each from The Red Lancers. I don't intend any criticism of either the retailer or the maker! The price is a feature of the devalued dollar vs. Euro and there's nothing either of them can do about that. They are both beautiful kits and at about $35.00 - $40.00 (my opinion) they'd be good value.
    - Box art - Each box has a small 2.25 x 3.75 inch color photo of the painted figure. I'll let you make your own minds up about the quality of the figure-painting. The photography certainly leaves a lot to be desired.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    On the boxes, both photos are WAY too small to be useful in helping you paint the figures.
    - Poses - mundane, average, dull Each figure is standing erect with one foot on a rock outcropping gazing into an imaginary space. The audience herewith emits a large "Hoo hum."

WOULD I RECOMMEND THEM? I'm a Great War fanatic and I'm the first one to admit it. So - my bias is all over these two figures. Here's the best way I can answer you. If you are interested in the Austro-Hungarian/Italian mountains theater of WWI and/or the uniforms and equipment - part with your hard-earned bread and buy 'em. If you are just looking for an intriguing figure with an interesting uniform and equipment to paint - keep lookin'.

all the best,
    Dan