1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Kirin MG42 Gunner

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by sam b, Apr 28, 2011.

1. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all,

I have started work on this absolute beauty!! This is from Kirin a now defunct model company, sculpted by John Rosengrant back in the day.
    He is painted in Vallejo colours, the helmet has been painted with the hairspray technique, there is still some touching up to do but as always, I am open to any pointers or criticism.
    Thanks for looking, Sam B
    P.S. I am no photographer!

Attached Files:

ryall, Dr Force, jimias and 1 other person like this.
  2. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Smooth paintjob! Maybe the transitions between the highlights and shadows can receive a little bit more blending but the pictures might be misleading. The balance between highlights and shadows looks good to me. While taking pictures it can be useful to use two lightsources or something to reflect the flash of the camera but I am no expert on this either. My late father who was a veteran of WW 2 and served with the SS-Division Florian Geyer told me that the swastika badge on the right side of the helmet was usually removed from the helmets or covered with paint or dirt for camouflage. Nevertheless if you decide to display it there were for sure exeptions.
    I am looking forward to your future progress on this figure. Best regards! Martin
  3. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I love this kit.
    He looks pretty goodoverall. The helmet looks very good. I might put a 5 oclock shadow on his lower face. Maybe it's just me but I always have my soldiers look a little rough. Acrylics can sometimes make a face too clean.
    The eyes look very well done and maybe as mentioned before, some more transitions.
    It also looks like a small pin hole on the tip of his nose which might need filled. It's 200mm scale so is probably seen by the naked eye.
    Are you going to weather the helmet?
    Thanks for showing.
    Grant
  4. Dr Force Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Looks superb so far Sam.

The helmet is top notch (how did you get that almost peeled effect?)

Look forward to more.........following.

Thanks
    Dave
  5. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Martin , Grant , David all the weathering will take place when he is finished n the 5 o'clock shadow will be add soon ,
    David , glad you like him , the helmet is done with base colour then matt varnish , then hair spray all over , then the White over the hair spray , then with a damp cotton bud lightly rub until it starts to crack , then varnish to seal it . All done with air brush .
    Thanks Sam
    Dr Force likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good start Sam.
    Looking forward to your next post

Marc
  7. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love the helmet Sam. As the others have said, with a touch of refining on the face, you'll be onto a winner.
    Carl.
  8. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    It's smooth and is the natural fresh tone, Sam.
    Indeed the dirt on a helmet is also effective.
    Excellent start!
    I'd like to follow.

Mitsutaka.
  9. ryall Active Member

New_Zealand
    I think it looks very good. I think the face is fine.
    I am sure once you put it on the rest of the 200mm figure the blends will not be noticed when you do a full shot of the figure.

Just my thoughts
    well done

Oh where did you get the decals for the helmet?

Ryally
  10. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for taking the time to post your comments they do help a lot .

Hi ryall i would like to say that they are hand painted !!! but there not !!! they are from Hudson and Allan , in the u.s .
    Thanks again
    sam
  11. Whitney Active Member

United-States
    very good start Sam