1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP King of souvenirs 1/9

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by offo, Jul 24, 2014.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This will be fun :)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Stu ,

This is obviously going to be popular and rightly so. .......

Put me down for a preorder please

Nap
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    This is the John Hines story - according to Wikipedia. If nothing else, its a cracking yarn about a fascinating character.

John "Barney" Hines (1873–1958) was a British-born Australian soldier of World War I, known for his prowess at collecting 'souvenirs' from German soldiers. Hines was the subject of a famous photo taken by Frank Hurley which depicted him surrounded by the loot he had captured during the Battle of Polygon Wood in September 1917. This image is among the best-known Australian photographs of the war.

Born in Liverpool, England in 1873, Hines served in the Royal Navy and King's Liverpool Regiment, as well as working in several different occupations. He arrived in Australia shortly before World War I began and volunteered for the Australian Imperial Force in August 1915. Although discharged due to poor health in early 1916, he rejoined in August that year and served on the Western Front from March 1917 to mid-1918 when he was discharged again for health reasons.

During his period in France he proved to be an aggressive soldier, and gained fame for the collection of souvenirs that he amassed. Following World War I, Hines lived in poverty on the outskirts of Sydney until his death in 1958.

After completing training in England, Hines joined the 45th Battalion on the Western Front in March 1917.[3][4] In June that year he captured a force of 60 Germans during the Battle of Messines by throwing hand grenades into their pillbox, and was later wounded.[3] During the six-week period he spent recovering from his wound he stole a horse and traded it for a bottle of whiskey.[12] He returned to his battalion in time for the Battle of Polygon Wood in September, where Frank Hurley photographed him on 27 September surrounded by the loot he had captured.[13][14] Hines was an aggressive soldier and it has been claimed that he killed more Germans than any other member of the AIF.[2] While he was brave in battle and admired by his fellow soldiers, his behaviour was erratic at times.
    12]
    Hines' enthusiasm for collecting German military equipment and German soldiers' personal possessions became well known within and possibly outside of his battalion, and earned him the nickname of "Souvenir King".[15] While he collected some items from battlefields at Ypres and the Somme region, most were stolen from German prisoners of war. He kept the items he collected for himself, and there are no records of any being handed over to the Australian War Records Section, the AIF unit responsible for collecting items for later display in Australia.[6] Hines sold some of the items he collected to other soldiers, including for alcohol.[6][16] The photograph of Hines at the Battle of Polygon Wood was published in late 1917 under the title Wild Eye, the souvenir king and became one of the best-known Australian photographs of the war. Many soldiers identified with Hines and were amused by his collection of souvenirs. The photograph was used as propaganda, and a false story developed that the German Kaiser Wilhelm II had become enraged after seeing it.[1][8]
    Jimbo, DEL, crf and 1 other person like this.
  4. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice write up Tony, makes you think what would 'political correctness' would make of those statements today! o_O
    Mark D ;)
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    It's not really my period of interest, but it's a superb bust and look forward to seeing it in the flesh.Regarding a smile.I've not seen many figures with a smile but if not done right it doesn't look good on a figure or bust IMO.I don't see a problem with being P.C. as his behaviour would have, and still is, normal during a war.He wasn't as bad as some of the guys who fought in Vietnam War where the ears were the collectors main items.
    Why would he thief of the dead or pow's? So he could sell to other people with the same scruples that he had.War will always bring out the worst in a human being,always has,always will.Any way i digress.This is a very well sculpted bust by Palo.
    Brian
    crf and offo like this.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    What a beauty!

All the best,
    Dan
    offo likes this.
  7. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Added to wishlist. Great story as stated.
    offo likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Based on his story, I think a smile would be out of place. Not the happiest chap. Sounds like he would have been at home in a Dickens novel.

Colin
    offo likes this.
  9. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    A great looking result on an awesome project!!

Since the pic doesn't show him smiling, wouldn't sculpting a smile be considered historically innaccurate?:rolleyes:o_O

Bob
  10. Hitguy Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Great work!
    offo likes this.
  11. offo A Fixture

Thank you very much for all the positive comments. I believe that we will soon see your color version.
    I look forward to it.
    Palo(y)
    Mark Dollery likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great sculptwork.

Marc
    offo likes this.
  13. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Yep , a must have for me , can't wait , great character indeed ,
    Cheers
    Al
    offo likes this.
  14. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Is this being sold commercially? If so, by whom?
  15. offo A Fixture

Hi need to follow the news from STROMTROOPER miniatures(y)
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    You can put me down for one of these please Stu!...cracking figure!...yep legs will be added along with loads of other "liberated" enemy kit! ;)
    Cheers
    Jim
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  17. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Yes, I follow the usual suspects and have seen nothing, hence the question.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Stu

When will this be available ?

Brian