1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

King David Kalakaua

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by RKapuaala, Feb 28, 2014.

1. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
  2. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi , look very nice,
    Just my observations and seeing your past pieces,
    Very detailed but mannequin, rigid.
    Taken and given life to upper torso would look amazing, legs are balanced nice.
    Definition of buttons under sash looks harsh even for silk sash. Number 5 down is off set.
    Face looks superb and I would buy for that mainly , but only if quality piece and I could see a detailed cast from a print.
    I don't like the doughy sculpting of clothing for the sake of using digital, but definition of detail is great, is it a drag and pull overlay ? Obviously which you have sculpted, I ask as your detail work is very good and maybe that takes priority. As nice it is it shows up other areas like the soft creases over the boots which is a shame to the overall piece. The right leg looking, looks like drain pipe jeans yet the other has more bulk. T

The neck is also too far back in collar/ no spinal tilt to balance shoulders which look forced back, the gap filled to the right side neck looking should not be visible as such a vertical angle.

Military uniforms tailor to the body and the waist is normally thinner than shoulders, there are exceptions but I think if you draw the waist in slightly it would look more pleasing as there appears no bulk underneath to justify a wide girth :) the material is loose
    This piece is really nice and could be amazing in the right hands for sculpting changes and high quality production
    I do like :) I think your best sculpt yet
    As you say, treat as you would sculpt manually and balance correctly and make crisp and this could be a fine piece. Any production process losses something but it can never compliment structure or form no matter how the master is designed.
    I hope you take this as intended from a different set of eyes
    Best wishes
  3. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Gra30. Thanks for the detail and fair critique. You've given me a lot to work on. It helps to have someone else look. He was acually quite heafty and I have pulled the waist in perhaps more than I should. upload_website_images_xl_img401.jpg
    That's him in the center without the uniform.
  4. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Over all very good advise. I will be puting it to good use as I refine the sculpt. I'll post some more images of the sculpt after I have executed your suggestions. Here is a pic of him the uniform at an early age.
    394691958_o.jpg
    I used this image as well as others for the detail. BTW, no drag and drop here. Let me tell you, making braids and embossing is a hell of a lot easier with clay than it is digitally. It took me 3 days to make the braids. 2 days for the epilets.
    Gra30 likes this.
  5. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi
    A nice piece and look forward to seeing more as you progress.
    It is your best so far I think
    Best wishes
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    An observation from the portrait. Should the forehead on your sculpt be pulled back a bit? The King seems to have had quite a frontal slope. Maybe it's the angle of your picture of the model. I agree it's your best so far and you have patience to burn.

Colin
    Gra30 likes this.
  7. zodiac Active Member

Bravo! That's a really good looking piece and it's nice to see constructive criticism given and taken in good spirit.
    Gra30 and crf like this.
  8. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys.
    Colin, you are correct that he has a frontal slope. The shadow of his hair which juts out over his forehead is causing a shadow to fall across his forehead and obscure the view. The next image I will correct the lighting to reveal the slope better.
    Gra30 and crf like this.
  9. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Here is a progress shot. I'm still working on the hands and the lower medals and the braids, but I worked on some of the suggestions I've gotten and I think I'm getting closer to completing it.
    kalakaua.jpg
    Ferris, pokrad and Gra30 like this.
  10. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Looking very nice, your changes have made an already nice piece look superb.
    Trousers and sash look better and a far less forced look around shoulders and head position.
    Body looks great and correct with shoulders slightly wider
    Very nice
  11. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Great work !
  12. zodiac Active Member

This is getting better and better....
  13. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Zodiac

I made a 10 second video in HD of the sculpt. That way it can be viewed at 360 degrees. I do this now before I start parting the model out because it is easier to look for weak or problem areas.