WIP Critique Kill Em All, Alpine 120mm, USMC Sniper Afghanistan

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, May 30, 2016.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've been working on this superbly sculpted and cast 120mm figure from Alpine for the past couple of weeks, and I can honestly say that I'm officially over USMC desert MarPat.

The concept behind this figure was to show a young Marine sniper in Afghanistan, with a rather vacant, haunted and nihilist expression on his face, as if he's seen and been through too much and doesn't give a shit anymore.

I liked the idea of adding the Metallica logo on his beanie as I wanted to play on the idea that he was an angry American teenager with a .50 calibre sniper rifle in a warzone. The logo took two goes to get right.

The title of the Metallica song "Kill 'Em All" seemed an appropriate summary of the attitude this young Marine gives off, and a cool title for the figure.

Painting MarPat is a painter's nightmare. It's certainly the most technically challenging camouflage pattern I've ever attempted, and I wouldn't choose to paint it again. If I was to start this figure again, I would probably create some templates of shapes with masking tape and spray the pattern on with an airbrush.

These are still WIP pics, and there's still a lot to do, but I thought it was time to show you what I've been doing lately.
    IMG_3923.JPG IMG_3920.JPG IMG_3921.JPG IMG_3922.JPG
    dArtagnan, arj, Joe55 and 13 others like this.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi tony,that cameo looks a real nightmare,great job on it though
  3. Scotty Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Your work on the Cam has certainly paid off, the face looks great as well. I won't be going anywhere near that pattern.
    Thanks,
    Scotty
  4. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    ......so after you get this done, you'll do something nice and relaxing, like the hearts and bunnies Auscam??

maybe not straight away, maybe I can send you a spare girlie figure to paint up??

Looking at the figure as he stands, are those hints of freckles on his face?
    Nice face sculpt you've bought to life.

I think once you layered on some weathering, that will unite and tone things in a bit....

Cheers

Jamie

PS, will this be a Model Expo?
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    That is really impressive work Tony. I thought the same as Jamie, might be an idea to paint something a tiny bit easier next to wind down and for the sake of your sanity. :D
    The effort was worth it for this finish though.(y)
  6. Andrew Perren PlanetFigure Supporter

That pattern has got to be tough in a large scale figure - is it all blocky square edges? - yuk.
  7. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pretty stunning Tony.
    Cammo was defo worth all the hard work.
    Gells
  8. Chris Ribchester PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Well done on attempting that camo and then succeeding with it , very nicely done.

Chris
  9. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looks awesome so far, Tony. Great idea to have him wear the Metallica beanie, and top job on the camo (y)
  10. Windy Active Member

England
    You've nailed that Marpat. I've tried painting MTP and it was bad enough, but that looks an absolute nightmare!

These guys are 28mm and I nearly went blind!

20151031_121219.jpg
    Mat Lambert and Scotty like this.
  11. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    First class approach again Tony.

Love it all including the freckles.

Psul
  12. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    How cool!!! Great idea the Metallica skull cap.
  13. Oda A Fixture

Great work,I love the psychological profile.It brings the figure to life.

Oda.
  14. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice one Tony!

You have my admiration for tackling such a difficult pattern to replicate (y)!

Joe
  15. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very effective looking camo.
    I admire your tenacity and attention to fine detail.

Cheers,
    Andrew