1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Khaki drill epaulettes

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by menardi, Feb 13, 2007.

1. menardi New Member

Brazil
    Hi there!

I have in my hands the following form Dougs Originals figures, a British Desert Tanker:

http://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1171408517.JPG

The figure is excellent, but the epaulettes is damaged. So, could I model the figure without the epaulettes? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance,

Fabrício

Attached Files:

2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I wouldn't know about the historical accuracy of the uniform without epaulettes, but making them can't be a big job. If you want to stay away from 2 part putties (which I would choose), you could make them from one of the thicker varieties of lead foils.

All the best,
    Dan
  3. menardi New Member

Brazil
    OK, Dan! Many thanks for the help!

Best wishes,

Fabrício
  4. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I know that during the crete campaign the British thore their epaulettes off so the cretan's could identify them at night. (Those who wore epaulettes got their troat slit open.) But that's an exeption. Nomally they had them on.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Getting your throat slit because you wear epaulettes!

Whoa! I can imagine the British Sgt Major's going around as night begins to fall tearing off the epaulettes of all their squaddies. How strange?! Thanks Vergilius!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I read it once in the memoirs of a british officer so I guess it's true. The Cretans were very hostile towards the germans and started a guerilla war almost immediately. This officer (I forgot his name) actually had a nightly encounter with a cretan partisan. he held a knive against his throat and checked if he still had his epaulettes Lucky for him he already got rid of them.
  7. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    There was a story I heard years ago concerning the Gurkhas. While on night patrol, they would crawl up and attack lone sentries based on the way they had laced their boots. Apparently the Brits and Germans laced their boots differently!! A bit far fetched since being part of the Brit army the Gurkhas were kitted out in Brit equipment but an interesting enough story anyway.
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Well it may be true. I love those small anecdotes. Even more as I get older.