1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Kettledrummer of Dragoons

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Blind Pew, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hey folks, some in-progress shots of a current project.

As Mr Megroot said, the Pegaso 75mm Red Lancer isn't all that. Disappointed, I made the decision to use it as a donor figure for a heavy conversion.

During the course of this I found
    why it's not been done yet as a kit - it's difficult!

Having lots of fun though.

Many thanks again to Graham of CGS who really made this project possible. Now you know what I did with that head!

As always, comments are welcome.
    100_2606.JPG 100_2440.JPG 100_2607.JPG
    Osvald, elanlane13, Diegoff and 6 others like this.
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    More shots....... 100_2617.JPG 100_2379.JPG
  3. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Like the look of this, will be following this for sure.
    Is the donor kit really that bad? Just got one myself not long ago:(.

Barrie.
  4. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Great sculpting, waiting for nrw thread !(y)
    Just for memory and PF members :
    [IMG]

By Eugène Lelièpvre
    [IMG]
    By Begnini
    aknific, Blind Pew and Krest063 like this.
  5. Jaybo Active Member

United-States
    Check out the one by Lucien Rousselot.
    Blind Pew likes this.
  6. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

That is simply superb :)
    Thanks for showing and you have done a great job.
    My very best wishes
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys I apreciate the kind comments.

Barrie, sadly, my example looked rushed, they they were trying to bang it out in time for Euro or something. Such a shame, as it isn't all bad. Having said that, there's no way Poste Militaire would have passed it. The face on mine was simply awful and I replaced it with a spare head right away. Also the shabraque left something to be desired. I do hope yours is better. I can't but notice this though - I haven't seen very many painted examples so maybe my experience isn't unique. The best of luck with yours, do not let me put you off, Marc did well with his.

M.Zastrow - thanks for those images, neither of which I'd seen before. The Eugène Lelièpvre looks like the thing you get with Historex kits. I note also he is show as being white, where he is usually depicted as being black African. I think I saw somewhere a note by Rousellot who stated that this was a mistake, but I decided to run with it... just looks better. And if it's good enough for Rousellot, it's good enough for me.
    The Begnini is excellent, and is very very close to what I have it mind for the finished piece.

Dear Graham - thanks again, without you, this would not have got off the ground
    Gra30 likes this.
  8. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Will have to check mine properly and see whats what. Now that you mention it, i don't recall seeing many painted up either. Hope to pick up the Poste Militaire one and conversion for the figure at Euro so long as SWMBO agrees to it.
    Looking forward to your next update.

Barrie.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I really like what you have done here. Well done. Interesting subject and good work so far.

As to the figure itself, I got one when it first came out and and found the casting to be very good and it was a breeze to assemble and paint. Perhaps the molds are getting tired and need to be remastered.

I'll be following this project with great interest.

Colin
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anthony,
    Some very nice work, looking forward to the next updates. Stick in there, it will be worth it.
    cheers
    Richie
    hall-moye@msn.com likes this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again guys for the kind encouragement.

Not posted due to a lack of progress. I found I didn't like the trouser leg on the first draft. This is the 3rd draft you see here. A lot of 1 step forwards and two steps back. I'm finally happy with it.

If you're not 100% you'll always have that niggling doubt.

Onto the other leg now. :rolleyes:

100_2619.JPG
    ChaosCossack, Huw63 and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

Switzerland
    This is really excellent and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model.

I agree with the comments about the Pegaso problems. I bought a couple of their 75mm cavalry this last year and have had parts missing or duplicated twice. With their mounted figures had two horses where the fit was really not good for an expensive kit - I've a couple of PM figures in my stash and yes them as a comparison for fit and they're usually still the best.

Cheers

Huw
  13. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Any progress on this figure?
  14. hall-moye@msn.com Active Member

United-States
    Very nice ! what kit is the head from ?
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks folks, progress has been slow. In fact ground to a halt! I hope to pick up soon though.
    I put it away for a while as I decided to re-do some aspects and thought it would be a drag. This kind of sentiment usually leads to a poorer standard of work, so rather than let standards slip, I'll prefer to take a break and come back anew.

The head was kindly donated from Graham at CGS miniatures. He's a 75MM US infantryman from the ACW...
    ChaosCossack likes this.