1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Katō Kiyomasa, the 'Kisho Kan', around 1600

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by akaryu, May 29, 2023.

1. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Fondly remembering a long stay in Japan ages ago, I decided to open my box of 'samurai' kits and try to put paint on some of them.
    What better piece to open the ball as this iconic bust by Augie Rodriguez for Fort Duquesne, hoping my paint job does the sculpt some justice.

P1010251.JPG P1010252.JPG P1010254.JPG P1010255.JPG P1010256.JPG

Thanks for looking,

Pierre
    MalcC, Blind Pew, NigelR and 9 others like this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Wow wonderful paintwork

Mobo
    Oda and akaryu like this.
  3. Oda A Fixture

As charming as it gets Pierre.You did great justice to this Tiger-hunting paragon Of Toyotomi loyalty.

Oda.

PS: Augie's samurai works are still saddly missed.He was one of the best at samurai sculpting.Hope to see him sculpting some more of them in the future.
  4. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Vielen Dank Mobo

Thank you Oda.

Augie's Toyotomi Hideyoshi was never released which leaves an important gap in any collection. He had plans for more, but so far nothing has come of it. His Ii Naomasa is waiting in my grey army.
    Myouchin's Honda Tadakatsu is on my workbench and I hope he will do a Toyotomi Hideyoshi with the sun-ray kabuto one day!

Ah! One could fill a whole cabinet solely with the sengoku daimyo, but we can only hope and wait!

Pierre
    Oda likes this.
  5. Oda A Fixture

You said it all Pierre.Not to mention that due to Fort Duquesne's going out of business the planned vignete of the head viewing ceremony after Sekigahara in 120 mm was never realized so I was left only with Tokugawa Ieyasu.I definitely want to see what you make of all the other Sengoku personalities you mentioned.I'll be looking out for your posts.

Oda.
    akaryu likes this.
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good work on what is a classic bust.
    akaryu and Oda like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Pierre

Nice to see what you've been painting , do like the headwear ....all metallics or did you use a pearlescent paint ?

Always nice to see Samurai, sounds like you've at least one more planned

*****PLEASE also SUPPORT the COMPETITIONS of your choice by going to the relevant thread on this link and enjoy ENTERING and VOTING ***

https://www.planetfigure.com/forums/bi-monthly-vignettes-dioramas-competition.196/

also being run is a Vignette & Diorama comp

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...mpetition-5-end-midnight-bst-31-12-23.519129/

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more ...very soon !

Happy benchtime

Nap
    akaryu and Oda like this.
  8. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Thanks for the comments!

Printer's ink and oils on the kabuto Nap. And yes, more are coming.

Japanese history is a long love affair and after fifty years of painting, at last I feel confident enough to put some paint on the dozens of samurai lingering in my grey army. It's going to take some time!

Pierre
    Oda and Nap like this.
  9. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Beautifully done.
    Rick
    akaryu likes this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

I switched from fantasy painting for RPG many a moon ago when I discovered Verlinden's 120mm mounted samurai.I bought it and said to myself that I would not tackle with it until I was good enough for such a piece.I am almost 28-30 years now into historical painting and that samurai still awaits for his colours.I have also started painting the many samurai in my GA army and hopefully I will get to him at some point.I know exactly how you feel Pierre.I will be waiting for all your samurai works.

Oda.
    akaryu likes this.