1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Karl XII of Sweden

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Gary, I agree with our brothers, it looks fantastic and you are a true inspiration,
    Looking forward to your next step. ;)

Cheers

Roc. :)
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Awesome work my friend!! Definately top notch!
  3. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary,

Very well sculpted and I am enjoying every minute of it here on the Planet. What I like most is your willingness to share with us your process. I am learning from all the postings in the Planet.

A merry christmas and happy new year to you and your family.

regards :lol:
  4. Patrick Kirk New Member

Gary,
    Simply awesome...your work amazes me, and this thread really shows the thought that goes into such work! Can't wait to see more. Well done!

All the best

Patrick
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks, I sure do appreciate it as always. Other than a show there is probably no better medium that allows you to share like the net does. You can really see how much time has gone into a project by looking at the posting dates. .

The hardest part of the Karl bust is almost complete. While I may have not probably achieved a 100% accurate likeness of the man, I think I've used all of the available references as best as I could. Thanks again.~Gary
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Gary!

Perhaps this comes a little bit late. I just found this picture of a contemporary sculpt made from the dead king. In an article they question the deathmask and its likeness with Karl XII.

[IMG]

Cheers
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Janne, Thanks. I have that picture in my file on Karl, although I did not really use it as a main reference. I was careful in not trying to copy the deathmask exactly as it is, rather to more or less confirm certain aspects of his features as depicted in the many portraits of him.~Gary
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Great work my friend!!
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Thanks I hope to get me pics posted later this week providing there is some foreward progress made.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The neckstock is about done with a lot of refining to be done on the hair yet.

Attached Files:

11. John Long Active Member

United-States
    It looks very nice Gary. How many times has it been baked by this point?
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, Other than the rough armature the head has not been baked yet. Once the hair is complete and I look the head over for any last minute work he will then be put into the oven.~Gary
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Is anybody else's fingers itching to paint this bust?! FANTASTIC!
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey guys,

I had the pleasure to visit Gary this past week and I can tell you that the pictures do not do it justice! I think any manufacturer that has seen this site, should jump to the phone and try to pick it up! ;) I can go on the record and say that this is by far the best work that Gary has done. I would hate to see this just be a one off.

Thanks for sharing it Gary,

Joe
  15. y_wong New Member

Dear Gary, great sculpting.

regards :)
  16. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Gary,I have to agree with the rest of the guys: AWESOME SCULPTING (y) (y) !! Cheers.
    Kenneth :)
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kenneth, Thank you, I sure appreciate it. This site often gives me just the motivation I need to press on with a project.~Gary
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I decided to get back to work on Karl, I've neglected him for too long. I decided to not do too much on the hair. I wanted to convey Karls blond/ light brown hair by not working too many deep lines into the hair.

The cuirass is also in it's intial stages, giving me a foundation to work on top of. My intent is to get the shape and bulk of the cuirass, so when I clothe the bust it looks like there's one underneath his coat.

Attached Files:

19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's a profile. I'm just working on the basic shape of the cuirass.

Attached Files:

20. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Awesome work, Gary!!! Whats the cuirass made of?