1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Karl Von Beffart Teutonic Knight 90 Mm Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by megroot, Feb 24, 2013.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Final figure (with shield attached ;)) looks great!!!
    Must be a hell of a workout painting a mounted metal figure of that weight :inpain:

Good luck with the new pad

Colin
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    thanks Guys.
    If the leg brake again I will try the rod in a grove.

Marc
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Marc great work on the heraldry and good luck on the move.

Cheers Ken
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Ken,
    Move is going forward, but it eats alot of energy.

Marc
  5. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    I would like to revive your old thread Marc because I think it is important.
    For big mounted 90 mm and 75 mm figures like this one, I think that we should not try to pin the legs as far as possible.
    Because, by doing so, we are actually weakening the drilled legs since there is less metal remaining and most of the time, the leg will break a few mm higher than where the pin ended.
    There is only one safe solution to this problem if the casting company has not inserted pins during the casting process.
    YOu have to insert a thick stainless steel pin (not brass) going from the ground, through the horse belly and inside the riders body.
    This pin should be thick enough to support all the weight of the figure so the figure is actually floating on its base but still in contact. Depending on the weight of the figure, it should go at least two inches deep inside the wood base.
    This is the only way to insure safe transport and longevity to these big pieces. I would drill also the feet of the horse for inserting small pins but only 5-7mm deep or so.
    Then you hide the main pin with grass, foliage, etc..
    kevininpdx and Redcap like this.
  6. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi marc. this is really great sculpture, and I really like your paintwork. White is a really heavy color (I can say it because of my inexperienced painting experiences :) Heraldry is also very nicely done. Beautiful work indeed :)

Cheers Borek
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Great job Marc, particularly on the heraldry. Hope your move goes well-Im in a similar position and thought the break from the bench would be easy but I now can't wait to get. Ack painting.
  8. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My heart goes out to you on this, I am sure this figure was expensive and I would imagine that you have put many many hours into building and painting it, then to see your finished creation collapse, what a nightmare, I think that the house move has probably come along at the right time so that you can get a break from models for a while, then moving house can mess with your head too.
    We tend to put our faith in the Manufacture and that they will not produce something this heavy that there will be difficulties like this.
    TERRY
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Drilling the feet/legs on metal horses has always been a problem for me on many occasions and is difficult to get right to be able to stand the test of time especially if the horse is rearing up on the back legs.

I have given up on many horse projects because of this so well done Marc for completing the project, I try and stick to resin now. (y)

Tommi
  10. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Beautiful work, Marc!

Scott
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks guys,
    Pegaso did a great compensation on this.
    The thread is now almost 4 years old.
    Anyway, thanks for the good advices about pinning horselegs. It will save me from further disaster into the future.

And for all that didn't see this piece: Thanks for the great comments.

Marc
  12. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully executed.

Mike
  13. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well done Pegaso and I forgot to say earlier that it is a fantastic figure and you had done a great job with your brushes.
    TERRY
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks alot Teryy and Mike.

Marc
  15. Luver Active Member

Italy
    Hi, I am going to paint a medieval figurine, so I am very interested in knowing more about your technique of painting metals with oils and printer's ink.
    Could you briefly describe your technique and the steps you go through?
    Thanks
    Luciano
  16. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Luciano,
    Here is my approach for painting metallic with oils and printers ink.

I mix printers ink (silver in this case) with black to a dark metal color.
    Brush that on the figure and let it dry.
    When dry I do a drybrush with more silver to the black and let it dry.
    If this layer is dry I pick up the highest highlights with pure silver ink.
    For the shades I do the same, but the deepest shades with pure black (W&N).

Marc
  17. Luver Active Member

Italy
    Excellent, thanks! And in the case of the chainmail do you use oil wash for the first step?
    Luciano
  18. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful work. But I have a question for Pegaso customers. Do they insert pins during the casting process these day? I have a 90mm from some years ago and they didn't back then.
  19. Luver Active Member

Italy
    Well, I am in the process of painting this Templar Knight http://www.pegasomodels.it/productdetails_en.asp?id=667 from Pegaso and YES they embedded a steel wire in the horse legs that are over the ground (link to the base)
    Luciano
    kevininpdx likes this.
  20. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I don't do a wash on the first step. I lay on the paint, and with a dry brush I wipe off the most of the paint. Generally there stayes a thin layer of the mix. Oils is the art of minimize the paintlayers.

Marc