1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Kamikaze bust---again

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hello all,
    You may remember seeing this before. It's Verlinden's "Devine Wind" kamikaze bust.
    It had an accident and had to go into the paint stripper awhile ago. Saw it sitting there, all primed and ready to be painted so...
    I'm actually farther along than I got the first time, and in less time too :)--<

This leather mix is different than the one I used on the Galland bust. It's Burnt Umber lightened with Naples Yellow and applied all over. Then I kept adding random dabs of both colors to it and lightly blending them in. No shadows or highlights done yet and it's still wet so please forgive the shine :)

As always, I'd appreciate hearing any comments or constructive criticisms you have for me.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Another shot...

Attached Files:

3. johnnyboy New Member

hi craig lookin pretty good so far.keep the pics coming cant wait to see this finished thanks for sharing johnnyboy
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Man Craig!

You sure are getting your moneys worth out of these busts! Looking great pal, keep it up!
  5. Pete_H New Member

Craig, Craig, Craig .... the only recommendation I have is to use Stickum when handling your figures at the workbench :lol: The brown is looking good. Burnt umber + Naples yellow, eh? I'll have to make a note of that.

P.S - nice avatar! "Mongo only pawn .... in game of life"
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, Nice, I too like the colors. Keep going.~Gary
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    Pete...you're killing me! :)

Actually, I didn't drop this one. I had the face painted and wanted to protect it while painting the fur. So, I painted on a liquid masking solution that I've used before without any problems. When I went to remove it, it pulled up bits and pieces of the face paint. Less than a week later, the Galland head dropped out of my clamp....bad week!

What bothered me the most with this one was that I really liked the oriental skintone that I managed to paint. I got some good advice from Lou Massas on colors to use for it and figured that it wouldn't look as good the second time.
    But I really happy with how it looks now. Guess I got lucky :lol:

I started the leather the same way I did Galland but decided I wanted a different looking color for it. So I tried a couple of different color mixes and was very happy with this one. I'm quickly becoming an big fan of Naples Yellow. I looked at the leather this morning and it dried dead flat. I'm hoping to get a chance to work on it tonight.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm really starting to like all this leather :eek:
    Thanks again guys,
    Craig
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, Now what makes you think we'd take it the wrong way? It's okay as long as your not seen at the next show wearing a leather hood, then we'll worry. :lol: ~Gary
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hey Gary,
    If I wear my leather hood, will it be talked about on the site as much as the hawaiian shirts from MFCA? :lol:

What I can't believe is that no one has made any comment on the color primer I used here. I mean come on people...look at it!

It's WEIRD!

I got a big spray can of it at the local dollar store. It was listed as some red shade but it came out "dusty rose" (my wife's description).
    Well, at least it seems to be a good quality primer :) .

Craig
  10. Pete_H New Member

Craig,
    With all your talk about "liking leather" and "hoods," I'm expecting to find your avatar to be a picture of the Gimp from "Pulp Fiction." :lol:
  11. Patrick Kirk New Member

Craig,
    Nice work! Looks great...
    Am eager to see your next steps...hope all is well.

All the best

Patrick
  12. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Pete,
    Pending legal action prohibits me from using the likness of, or commenting on the character you mentioned :)

Patrick, thanks for the nice comments. No chace to work on it last night but I'm hoping to get time this weekend. I see that you're in Virginia. So I'm guessing that you'll be in D.C. this August for the show? Hope to see ypu there.
    Craig
  13. Patrick Kirk New Member

Craig,
    You betcha I'll be at the DC Show ;) ...look forward to seeing you there, and this piece, too...I am trying to work the timing for Chicago this year, too, but will have to see how that turns out.
    Hope all is well

All the best,
    Patrick
  14. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Patrick,
    Great. I look forward to meeting you.
    I've never been to the Chicago show. Although my traveling buddies (Eric Mosso and Jim Eiker) have tried to talk me into going. Do you have any info on it? Maybe even a website?
    Thanks,
    Craig