1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Kaiser's Army, Officer Nr 17 Reg't, 1917

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Watford, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Watford PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Another figure from the Sockel and Bases stable. A nice one piece cast which is great for folk like me with sausage figures and who spends more time trying to remove superglue from my fingers than painting :(

Although one cast figures present their own challenges to the figure painter, The nice crisp cast and clear detail on this figure mean I shouldn't make too much of a balls up with my paint work.

[IMG]

BTW the photo shows a base but there was none in the package I received, not a problem for me I use Games Work shop bases because there is limited space in my figure display case.
    Cheers
    Roy
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I like the figure very much...
    Thanks Roy!

Cheers,
    Pedro.
  3. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Roy. Thanks for the review. Do you mean that little piece of resin on the photo below? I can send you one, but perhaps you can take one of my better trench scenes for it ;) And I have the same problems as you with the super glue and my fingers. I hate that :mad:

Attached Files:

captnenglish likes this.
  4. Watford PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ulrich, thanks for your kind offer about the base but it's not a problem for me but some folk get a bit awkward about these things. I thought I'd flag it up and hopefully it'll save you some grief. I like your business mind about the trench scene, you're not a man to miss an oppounity and for that I salute you ;) Space in my display case is limited so I will have to pass on the trench scene.
    Cheers
    Roy
  5. swralph A Fixture

Nice looking figure
  6. Watford PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is the second figure I've painted that has been sculpted by Alan Ball and I really like Alan's craftsmanship. I like the figures by Alan and I like the figures by Nino Pizzichemi - I feel a Harry Hill moment coming on so I'd better stop!

Does any one know if Alan has his own figure website?

Cheers
    Roy

[IMG]
    frank h likes this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Hi, Roy, Alan and Marion's website is here: http://www.mb-miniatures.com/pages/de/home.php Their work is excellent!

I like this figure, too, and it occurs to me that he'd also go well with any of the Wingnut Wings German fighters.

Prost!
    Brad
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    One followup question, though--is he an Offizier, or an Unteroffizier? The broad stripe of lace on the border of his collar, and the plain leather chinstrap on his cap, make me ask.

Prost!
    Brad
  9. Watford PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brad
    Thanks for the web link, I will check that out. The figure is titled as a 'NCO' please forgive me but I am not sure how that translates to ranks in the Imperial German Army. Please let me know if I've dropped a uniform clanger and I can amend the figure.
    Cheers
    Roy
    theBaron likes this.
  10. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Brad: On the original photo is an NCO so Unteroffizier. Btw Nice version of the figure :)

Attached Files:

• 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      163.4 KB
      Views:
    theBaron likes this.
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, guys! My eyes haven't gone yet, after all.

Roy, if you like, here are some quick, high-level German-(American) English translations

Unteroffizier-non-commissioned officer
    Feldwebel-sergeant
    Spiess-lance corporal
    Gefreiter-corporal

Of course, there are grades within the non-commissioned rank, like Vize-Feldwebel, and we can try to make equivalents with ranks like sergeant, master sergeant, etc.

If I remember correctly, the term Unteroffizier arose because the non-coms names appeared on the lower half of the muster roll, under a line, while the officers' names appear on the upper half. In the old Imperial army, there was the term prima plana, or "first page", for a similar distinction. It's interesting to compare with our designation in English, which focuses on whether the man held a commission from the sovereign (or government), or not.

I'm sure our fellow Planeteers can refine this and correct any errors I've made. Hope that helps!

Prost!
    Brad
  12. Watford PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brad
    I salute you. Many thanks for the info.
    Cheers
    Roy