1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

K.U.K. Bust in progress

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by pokrad, Dec 19, 2014.

1. JackG Active Member

Canada
    Nicely done, I think you nailed the cloth belt.

Comparing to your main reference photo, you can still go further in reducing the overturned collar:

[IMG]
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  2. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
  3. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    looks amazing !

Must have !

Hendryk
  4. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Thx, but it's not finished yet...
    Folds of the uniform must be improved...currently only his left pocket is finished.
    Now, for the rope that hangs over his shoulder, we decided not to do it digitally, as it would enlarge printer costs...so this will be done later.
    Also those metal hooks look somehow empty, I'm thinking of adding bandoleer (do not know other word), not sure yet...
  5. JackG Active Member

Canada
    You mean the ammo pouches?
    Isn't that something, I was thinking earlier you should include the belt buckle as well, so if you are adding the pouches...

[IMG]
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Superb! Actually there are several additions you could make. Options: (1) A rifle sling with a hand holding and pushing on and maintaining tension on the sling to steady the rifle; (2) A climbing staff, possibly held in the other hand; (3) Medals; (4) Exposed whistle (?) on the chest; (5) Exposed compass (?) on the chest; and/or badges and medals on the hat.

Looking forward to your future posts on this!

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

7. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yes, ammo pouches (that was the missing word)...but if I want to show the whole belt I must change the overall length of the bust...I tried it but it seems too much - more like "torso" not "bust" any more.
  8. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Now that I'm looking at the actual picture belt is pretty high, and I should reduce length of shoulder belts, put the buckles more up, and it could be good - I retry it ;)

Guys I appreciate all of your suggestions, and it would make the bust more interesting....but this is my first digital bust and somewhat an experiment...so I do not want to make it too complicated...whistle or compass...that would be possible.
  9. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    In the end overall volume did not change, I did increased the length, but back angle is different now...
    What do You guys think ???
    Do I leave it this way or the first one is better ???
    If this is the better one, then I'll add ammo pouches, they will break sharp bottom line of the bust.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    Dan Morton and JackG like this.
  10. JackG Active Member

Canada
    I prefer this latest version, and look forward to seeing the ammo pouches.

Again looking back to the b/w photo of the two soldiers (as well as other photos/artwork), the cloth strap for the bread bag should run underneath the waist belt, and is positioned more to the rear.
    pokrad likes this.
  11. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    I also like the "new" version!! Hell - you might as well make a half figure out of it - I would REALLY like that!! Dave
    pokrad likes this.
  12. vince wai Active Member

Nice work. Look forward to the finished version
  13. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    According to main reference image, the ammo puches are for Steyr-Mannlicher M95
    Did not find good images from WWI, but there are a few from WWII, and it looks they are same and did not change:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

On the second image, marked by red square is probably where the shoulder belt buckle (hook) connects to it.
    Also it looks that there is not "left and right" type, but both of them are the same - on the main reference image it looks like both of them have the same slope - they are not "mirrored".
    As usual, correct me if I'm wrong ;)
  14. JackG Active Member

Canada
    Observations are spot on. [IMG]
    Indeed, there is only one pattern. The slant reflected the shape of the magazine clip.

Am curious, but with 3D modeling, can you create one pouch, and then just copy and paste the other three?
    --------------------------------

Only difference I notice with WW1 type is the flap cover extends almost halfway down the length of the pouch. There also appears some variation in finished construction, some only had stitching, while others included rivets.

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]

See here for rivet type:
    http://iacmc.forumotion.com/t3478-austro-hungarian-mannlicher-m95-ammo-pouch
    pokrad likes this.
  15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Yes, it is possible to just model one and copy, but even that is not necessary, as the "digital master" could have only one, and the rest could be done in molding process.
    If they were "mirrored" I could copy one and mirror it digitally, that can't be done using molding rubber.
    The right way would probably be to model basic shape of the one, copy and then do some variations, so they are not 100% the same - at least some scratches and texture - that I'm going to do.
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I like the latest version better! Had no idea this was your "experiment" in digital sculpting! Looks great!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    [IMG]

Dan, I did sculpt digitally before (not that much, but I did), and printed only one small figure on Shapeways - it was disaster.
    "Experiment" is because this is first time we try actually to get something production quality (sculpt and print)...
  18. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Obviously, now I have all kind of trouble with the shoulder belts, folds etc...but it will be corrected soon

[IMG]
    Osebor likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

I am liking this more and more ......lots of work going into this and lots of advice .....agree about medals being added

Perhaps move the head looking slightly off centre?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  20. JackG Active Member

Canada
    Looking extremely good.

Just noticed now, the cloth strap should also be underneath the leather harness by his right chest and shoulder.

Trying to find some actual dimensions for items in lower area of the bust. Belt buckle is 50mm x 40mm, but is from ebay, can it be trusted? Nothing for pouches, but found single cartridge overall length is 76mm (or three inches), and base diameter 12.48mm (or 0.491 inches). Clip contained five cartridges, with two clips per pouch.