1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Kérem, segítsen nekem!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PhilinYuma, Apr 8, 2012.

1. PhilinYuma Member

United-States
    I hope that a Hungarian speaking member can help me solve this mystery. According to Wikipedia, who got it from the Oxford English Dictionary, the origin of the English word "shako" is csákós süveg ("peaked cap"). I had no trouble finding "süveg" as "hat, but when I lopped the "s" off "csákós" to make it into a noun, I only got the translation "shako", nor could I find any word similar to it when I tried "peak' from English to Hungarian. Is the OED wrong, or have I been making some obscure mistake? I am writing a short piece on the shako in the nineteenth century and need an etymology.
    Köszönöm!