1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for October Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM October

Completed Justice League finally sees ACTION!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well boys and girls, here is the culmination of a couple years worth (off-and-on of course) of work. The completed Justice League of America vignette. I completed this just in time for Wonderfest this year (early May). I took this back to my good buddy the photographer this last weekend and got some good shots of it. I've included a couple close-ups of the busts I didn't previously have in my V-Bench. You can look back at my V-Bench for close ups of the other busts (Batman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter).

The base is basically scratch built. I used two pre-cut wood bases, glued them together (base to base) and sealed up the seam. I used sheet styrene for the top, and strip styrene shaped like bolt heads for the "bolts". I cut and glued them in place. The "plynths" are 3/4" clear acrylic rods. I built the plaque holder from a 3/4" plumbing fitting, sheet and strip styrene. The plaque is a piece of glass I had custom cut. I then took it to a lady I know who does glass etching and she etched a logo of the Justice League that I had prepped on the computer (converted to vectors). She then painted the lettering with "Sign Painter's One-Shot" enamels. I had the idea of etching both sides, one in the plain white in order to try and get the small drop shadow on the lettering from the other side. I'm pleased with how it turned out!

The figures are all aprox. 300mm resin busts. Sculpted by Jim Maddox. They are all quite large and heavy. They are all painted in oils over acrylic. I must note here, that the busts were sculpted in the style of Alex Ross, a popular comic book artist. His style tends to be a bit more realistic, using water colors and live models for his inspiration (I'll attach a picture of the art that I used for inspiration to the bottom of this thread). With that in mind, I made the effort to make my painting style for these busts match his painterly style of comic book art. With that, the Flash is gold and not yellow on his lightning bolts. Wonder Woman's Bodice is a nice gold and not yellow, all have pupils, not the stylized "white" or "solid" eyes. Flash's gloves are slightly darker red to simulate what I imagined to be leather. Oh, and Aquaman's shirt is finished with a pearlescent clear that is unfortunately hard to see in the pics, etc. I also tried to get a real styalized look to some of the highlights in the metalics, to symulate a comic book feel to them. As you can see some of the metalics have a "forced" bright circular or liniar highlight, that was my idea to get a realistic, but yet comic book feel to some of the metalics. I digress. On with the pictures. Thanks for looking!

Jay H.

More photos in next post.

Attached Files:

gothicgeek, flart1943, phc35 and 2 others like this.
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    More photos of individual busts.

Attached Files:

3. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Final pics of Supes!

Attached Files:

4. housecarl Forum Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant, every piece would be great on its own. But together they just compliment each other wonderfully.
    Carl.
  5. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    That s quite a collection you have there Jay. Excellent painting on all of them but my favourite whould be Flash without doubt. Well done.
    Regards.
  6. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I saw this bad boy in person over the weekend at the Tulsa show and it was pretty freaking awesome. Each one of the pieces is perfect on its own but together the display was magically delicious. Congrats on the gold Jay, very well deserved.
  7. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great piece of work Jay on all the individual busts and a great idea to display them all together.

Cheers David
  8. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Very nice display, Jay! Excellent paintjobs, I love it!
    Eddy
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Beautiful paintwork Jay! a great composition.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Great finish and well worth the wait.
    Cheers
    John
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Outstanding work Jay. Aquaman is my favourite.
  12. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    I saw these in person in Tulsa and the pictures do not do these justice (sorry for the pun!) but they are just stunning!! Fantastic work!
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Carl, Dimitrios, Mike, David, Eddy, Marcel, John, Tony, Jason,
    Many thanks for all the kind words guys! Glad you like them.

Jay H.
  14. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Jay,

That is just beyond COOL!!! I love it!! Where did you get the bust from? I have not seen Jim around for years.

Joe
  15. custer760 Active Member

Congratulations on a perfect peice of artwork Jay,this couldnt be any better.
    Absolutely stunning and very well thought out.
    Regards
    Pete
  16. Chris Oldfield Active Member

England
    Jay,
    Nice collection with some stunning paintwork - Superman & Wonder Woman are particularly impressive.
    Chris(y)
  17. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    These turned out great Jay! Together, they make an impressive display, and the time and effort you obviously invested paid off! I enjoyed this piece, and the rest of your display.

Jason
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent compilation of the fantasy bust's.
    All are excellent.

marc
  19. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, Pete, Chris, Jason, Marc, thanks guys for the compliments!

Jason, you are too kind my friend. A couple more notches and my display will soon hold a candle to the genious you bring! Thanks again!

Jay H.
  20. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Very impressive Jay!. could you please share your paint mix for the skin tone on Wonder Woman?
    (y)
    Thanks

Gary Daugherty