1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Just stuck here in Iowa

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Disco58, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Disco58 New Member

United-States
    Hi all, Michael here -- I found this website through an IPMS member who answered a question I had posted on the IPMS board regarding painting to simulate leather. He highly recommended looking at Mongo Mel's work and posted a link to here. I took a look through the gallery, saw there was some very good figure modelers here and decided to stay. It appears that most here do miniature figures, 150mm and smaller, where I prefer much larger 1/4, 1/5 and 1/6 and so on. I have only recently begun figures. My history has been with military subjects (mostly WWII aircraft, usually in 1/48). I got too caught up in the 'rivet counter' fever where there seemed to be only two levels of work, perfect or failure. I started dabbling sci-fi where there is a greater amount of leeway, but still wasn't satisfied with results. I started reading Amazing Figure Modeler and Kitbuilder magazines (don't get me started on Kitbuilder...) and found this a lot more to my liking. Unfortunately I am somewhat right back in the rivet counter mindset where nothing I do looks as good as the other guys, but I'm working on it.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to meet you Michael, there's not much rivet counting here, fortunately.
    Carl.
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Welcome here Michael!
    And dont you worry there are some rivet counting going on here as well. ;)

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Michael,
    Welcome and do stay a while.
    Cheers
    John
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Welcome aboard Michael (y)

I can relate to the rivet counting mindset, it is a paralysis. Once broken free of it, I can start things, finish things AND enjoy it!

Have a great visit and many more!
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    "Rivets? Rivets? We don't need no a-stinkin' rivets!!"

Well a couple on Frankenstein's head maybe and sorta like rivets on German helmets, but other than that, no - no rivets.

Welcome Michael! I'm just across the river in Omaha. Enjoy!

Dan
  7. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hello and welcome!.....I am glad to see a fellow Iowan here on the board. You will like this forum.

(Quad cities here also)
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Michael,

Welcome to Planet Figure. I hope you enjoy your stay and show us some photos of some of your models.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great welcome Michael.
    Hope we see some work of you without rivets.

marc
  10. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Welcome Michael. :)