1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Just started

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by brian, Aug 2, 2017.

1. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent start on that very expressive face; and that metalwork looks superb.
    I'd be interested in your thoughts on acrylics over oils as I've read that there can be adhesion problems.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    anstontyke and brian like this.
  2. Cannonball A Fixture

A great start. The face is super, so full of character and expression.
    brian and anstontyke like this.
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I usually apply oils over enamels,but i use acrylics for armour.I know quite a few people who paint oils over acrylics and i've not heard of any issues.I use acrylics over oils for the highlights on armour and have never had a problem.Just make sure the oil has dried.This could take a few days.
    Brian
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great start brian and thanks for the informative tips,very useful.

tony
    brian likes this.
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    One of my favourite models Brian.

Paul.
  6. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Off to a good start. Love the armour and thanks for sharing your method.
  7. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brian this boy is looking good already and your method for painting the Helmet is a great help so I will grab some of the Darkstar metals, I have been watching these paints recently and they seem to be becoming very popular and giving good results. I am a fan of your work and love the smooth shaded finish matt finish that you get on you figures so I am wondering do you use a varnish on top of your paintwork to achieve this, I started a thread this morning about varnishes and I will be following your progress on this bust with great interest.
    TERRY
    brian, anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far mate ,like Del I think I will be getting one of these.

Cheers Davie
  9. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    As i paint in oils,you've always got that,i hope this goes matt syndrome,in you're mind.I put my oils on a bit of cardboard to soak some of the oils out.I usually put the figure under a lamp,or even stick it in the oven.This will matt most things down,but you'll lose some of the contrast,so i paint wet on dry on most thing.There is one varnish that i know will matt anything down,which i use rarely,but it works.It's AK Interactive Ultra Matt varnish,and it comes in a plastic bottle,and has the consistency of watery milk.It does the job if all else fails.
    Brian
    anstontyke likes this.