1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Just for fun...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Henk, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

And there's me thinking an ex Army Land Rover was being over the top,a 1 Tonne Land Rover of course.

Cheers Simon
    sd0324, marco14 and Henk like this.
  2. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    They stopped making proper Defenders... you can only get Chelsea Tractors now. No longer the semi-agricultural working vehicle they used to be. I loved the short wheel base Defender. It was fantastic at work.
    sd0324 likes this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome to the dark side.

Tread carefully my friend, for you are about to lift the veil on a realm that has bested the best, and driven even the most level headed to the very brink of sanity..

If you choose this path young Padawan, many treasures lay before you, but be wary, for treasure attained will bring a thirst for more. More plastic. More Photo-etch. More resin. More tomes of knowledge. More different versions of the same tank...The thirst can not be quenched, but by the cold embrace of Death himself.
    sd0324 and Briggsy like this.
  4. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And stay the hell away from WW1 aircraft.
    They're beautiful, but the struts and rigging will put you in a lunatic asylum.
    Henk likes this.
  5. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

This is starting to feel like the same as Alice experienced fall down the rabbit hole.

Cheers Simon
    razor, sd0324, David Spencer and 2 others like this.
  6. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Agreed. On a more realistic note and possibly attainable goal, after retirement soon I'm thinking about restoration of a genuine WW2 Jeep. I know where to get one but she needs work. It will be like building the ultimate Tamiya kit and I can use it for parades and as a hunting vehicle.

Steve
    Briggsy and David Spencer like this.
  7. Briggsy PlanetFigure Supporter

That would be a great project, there is a fella lives up the road from me who has a WWII American half track with the dirty great howitzer on the top parked up beside his house. It's only there through the winter never in the summer months.

Cheers Simon
    sd0324 and David Spencer like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Interesting diversion ...hope we will see at least a pilot and maybe a Diorama with ground crew

Have fun

Nap
    Henk likes this.
  9. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Something along those lines is in the pipeline...
    sd0324, David Spencer and Nap like this.
  10. NigelR A Fixture

Come on in to the asylum, it's lovely...........:)
    PfalzBov.jpg
    Martin64, Nap, David Spencer and 3 others like this.
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

The early adaptation of planes for warfare must have been interesting.

"Fitting a machine gun to our plane, to shoot at the enemy, that is a good idea. Wait, aren't the bullets going to hit our own propeller???"
    "No, I have devised this complicated mechanical contraption of rockers,chains, and levers, that connects some of the moving parts of the engine to the moving parts of the gun, that will stop the bullets when the propeller blade is in front of the gun"
    Briggsy likes this.
  12. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Oh no, it's spreading, hope it isn't contagious. :LOL:

Malc
    NigelR, marco14 and Briggsy like this.
  13. NigelR A Fixture

It's really fascinating. Some of the early British pilots flying the Bristol Scout fired their unsynchronized machine guns directly through the propellor arc, the logic being that most bullets would not hit the propellor. They wrapped the propellor in linen cloth to minimise splinters if the bullets did hit the prop. Now that takes cojones........
    David Spencer and Henk like this.
  14. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Early aircraft were absolutely gorgeous.
    Works of art.
    The RAF Museum's first world war hangar is amazing.
  15. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think flying one of those early planes took cojones enough, let alone flying them whilst trying to dodge someone else trying to hit you... What is it about young men thinking that they are indestructible .
    NigelR and David Spencer like this.
  16. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Think about that.... "most" bullets would not hit the propeller :nailbiting: :nailbiting:. Absolutely crazy.
    And wrapping the propeller in cloth, completely ruining the aerodynamics, but still flying them and dog fighting...
  17. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A lot of pilots were killed during training
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Fear not Malc ...I’ve had the injections!

Do like seeing Nigel’s displays on the Great War SIG though....both planes and figures

Nap
    MalcC likes this.
  19. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've blocked in the camouflage schem, now for a little bit of wear and tear and weathering. Not to much, this plane was fairly new out of the box, and hadn't seen much action.. 91 Squadron only flew sorties from Norfolk, over the Netherlands and the North Sea. As an aside to this, this plane crashed just after the war ended, killing the pilot. IMG_20240218_141013_608~2.jpg IMG_20240218_141019_839~2.jpg
    Martin64, Briggsy and NigelR like this.
  20. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I'm just looking at this blown up on my computer screen, and that is beautifull. Subtle weathering, and razor sharp rigging. (y)
    NigelR likes this.