1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Just Finished (i Think) Bust Number 2

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by PaultheMilitaryModeller, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Some facts, Paul:
    1: I 'm ever remotely dream to be near the middle of the class in this or other forums regarding my abilities as a modeller, figure or otherwise.
    2: Every one of us has a carefullly guarde closet (virtual o real) where we have our deepest modelling shames.
    3: I have received criticisms and encouragements, some I agree, others not so, but,
    4: Evertime, I learnt something, and sometimes it is that I 'm not such a clumsy modeller as I think.
    So: Keep on posting, we all learn on the move, even the Masters!
    Funky50, crf and housecarl like this.
  2. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have learnt a lot from constructive critique and along as its from those well respected sculptors/painters then it well worth feeling a tad hurt due to the learning that comes from it. I'm no blooming master but I ain't half improved by listening to others more experienced/ talented than me. What I can't stand ( and I'm not saying that is th case here) is criticism with little foundation.

Stick at it and enjoy !
    Funky50, crf and napoleonpeart like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Paul ,

2nd bust ...well done I say ..everyone you do you will find something new , a technique , style , mixing ....please do not leave PF because of this ...enjoy your modelling .

All on PF are very helpful and should offer constructive comments .

We all enjoy the forum and the posts ..no matter what level you are at ..you will progress and se improvement with every model you do .

Please do feel free to pm me and I will help any way I can .

Nap
    crf likes this.
  4. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Gosh what a brilliant illustration of drama triangle, victims, rescuers and persecutors. All there. Cmon we are adults ( I doubt there are any members below 10 )

Paul - no matter what you think of your work - its still better than those that criticise and don't produce any work. I was disappointed not to see any pictures of your work when I visited the thread. Please consider posting them back. I would also like to see what feedback Steve gave - as it may have been useful to others.

Every one started somewhere, even masters like Popovichenko - in his own reflection - his first figures were crap until he got internet access and saw the works of others.

I find PF responses in general extremely encouraging and mild and it comes at a price - as very little constructive feedback is left, as people are either extremely positive by nature or walk on eggshells not to upset people -seems to have happened here. Brutal honesty centre seems to be only used by accomplished painters - so there isnt much fed back there too.

In comparison - some other sites- tend to be overtly brutal and destructive. That works for some people, especially for masters who are at different level and need more to progress.

That brings me to the point I raised I think 3 times already, lets look into suitable ways to give feedback that is constructive and useful.
    Tubby-Nuts', crf, DEL and 3 others like this.
  5. robert stevely New Member

Here are my 1st 4 attempts ( 1st on the right and progressing left in order) Let me have it.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    MCPWilk likes this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    How big are those busts (hur hur) they look huge ?

Steve
  7. robert stevely New Member

The Von Richthofen and Minuteman are 1/6, the British POW is 1/9 and Luferby is 1/12
  8. Richard61 Active Member

England
    Whilst I don't know Paul Personally, I do know him in the virtual world from another modelling site.
    Some may say that "Planet Figure" is mild with regard to critique when compared to other sites but believe me, the site I know of Paul from takes being "mild" to the limit and beyond. It's so politically correct in all areas you almost have to beg people to tell you if they can see any fault with your work. :wtf:.........Don't get me wrong, I'm a member there and I enjoy it for what it is (A warm, safe haven or a comfort blanket) but as a way to improve and push yourself, it's hopeless.
    Coming from that environment to this will come as a shock to anyone not used to even the slightest whiff of critique.
    In the real world (No-matter what the "Knit Your Own Sandals" brigade try and tell us) people do fail exams, are useless at sports and are not going to be liked by everyone.
    Maybe I'm just an old fart from a bygone age but I was brought up to try to push myself and do my best, both at home and in school and I still hold by that today....... "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" is an apt quote. Modelling may not be my job but it is my hobby. I've always thought it worth doing, so it must be worth doing well to my mind.
    Far from driving me away, the idea that people were going to be honest (Brutally Honest) ;) with me was what attracted me here(y)....So for myself, telling me my work sucks isn't going to make me throw the teddy......
    Telling me it sucks without offering advice on how to improve it isn't going to make me throw the teddy either but it might just move you to the top of my shit list :sneaky::whistle:
    After reading all the comments posted around this topic and speaking as a new member of the site, I can't see any insults or abuse that could or should cause offence. I'm sorry I can't view the pictures but have only seen words of advice and encouragement from those that have.
    As Paloma Faith sang, "Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful".

Richard.
  9. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I noticed that he hasnt been on PF since Nov 3, 2012 so it does look like he stuck with that decision to leave.

Its an adult making choice in the end of the day.
  10. Richard61 Active Member

England
    Here is my very first (and last) stand alone figure. Done 5 years ago, it's obviously the 120mm Tamiya kit but I re-sculpted the bottom of his greatcoat, changed his helmet and gave him a cigarette.
    I know it's far from perfect, not even close to good but at the time I was happy with him......I'd like to think I'd do better today but there's a lot about him I still like.
    I called the work "The Long Road Home. (Winter 1942/43)"......... Putting my money where my mouth is so to speak, "Brutal Honesty" is welcome :blackeye::arghh::eek:;)

100_0444.JPG View attachment 122670 100_0445.JPG

Yeah, the sleeve/cuff area should have been improved. That part still glares at me, doh :facepalm:

Richard.
    billyturnip likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    As far as I'm concerned, this site is a gold mine.
    I painted in isolation for years (off and on) and really don't think I improved with consistancy. I just kept making the same mistakes over and over. Family and friends (who never held a brush) give a "hey that's great" but that doesn't hepl worth a damn except to reinforce your mistakes.
    Since posting on this sight, I feel my work has improved 100 fold, because of the helpful advice and critques. Telling someone their work is shit without explaining why is useless. I've found the guys who take potshots at other peoples work tend to be the ones who rarely post work themselves.
    It's up to us to take the reactions to our posts for what they're worth... thankful for the compliments and HELPFUL advise.... and ignore the empty critism.
    I often don't change finished pieces where weaknesses are pointed out but make the change on the next piece so that when I look back at a piece I did 2 years ago i can see how far I've come. Then I can look at some of the work here and see how far I can still go... and strive to go there.

If all you want is a pat on the back and a "There's a good boy"... that's what mothers and wives are for.
    If you want to learn, you have to put yourself out to allow others to offer their experience and benefit from their advice.

That's just me... but then I spent my life being yelled at by hockey coaches and then journeymen :blackeye: ... but they were just teaching me how to be good at what I was doing :rolleyes:

Hate to see someone miss the opportunities available here

Colin
    Richard61, Wings5797, crf and 6 others like this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    That's some sound advice(y) mate.
    cheers
    Richie
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    Brillantly put Colin
    Steve
    crf and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I only started to see major improvements in my painting since I joined pF back in 2007 and I sought the advice of fellow figure modellers (which I must say has always been given graciously and generously). Having sought that advice, I then had to accept or reject it, and by and large I have accepted most of it, and that has been the major reason why I have improved.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who visit pF regularly and enjoy looking at the works of some of the best figure modellers in the world, but are afraid to join and post pics of their figures here because they lack the courage/ confidence to submit their own modelling work to scrutiny or don't feel worthy or can't handle any negative feedback.

For those people you have two choices. You can post photos of your figures and take the chance that you might expose yourself to critisism and have your feelings hurt. Hopefully in the process, you might learn a new technique or paint recipe or receive some advice that might cause you to improve your next effort.

The alternative is to sit on the sidelines, keep doing what you're doing and be forever frustrated at your lack of progress.

I've been modelling for over 40 years now and I'm still learning and still seeking help and advice from fellow modellers and that's how it should be. This forum, more than anything, has demonstrated the value of constructive criticism and given me the courage to experiment, to expose myself to critisicism and to taking advice. The day I think I know everything in this hobby is the day I stop enjoying it. That day will never come because I know that I can always improve and there is always more to know.

The person who started this thread will almost certainly never improve as a modeller because he lacks courage and self confidence. It takes courage to ask for help and it takes courage to put your heart and soul into something and be told that it's not as good as it could be. All of us have had to expose ourselves to that risk and for those of us who do, it usually leads to a greater enjoyment of our hobby because we see improvements in the standard of our work and we feel more connected to our community of fellow figure modellers.
    Wings5797, crf, Richie and 4 others like this.
  15. Waterman Active Member

I ve never had the bottle to put one of my figures on here, as despite my long experience I am still crap. When I first started I would go to Euro Militaire and come away so dissallusioned by my efforts that I was ready to give up. Eventually with my eye sight problems I did just that, I packed up and moved on. But the love of military miniatures has never gone away, and now recently I have returned to the fold. People on here display some mind boggling work, and I take my hat off to them, but what inspires me and helped bring me back to the hobby is that those people are the minority, the majority of us range from crap like me, right through to the other end of the rainbow. Now,when I look on here, it all falls into perspective, I look at something and I say I am not as good as that one, but I am on a par with that, and sometimes I can even say I think mine is better than that, not very often though. So people like the originator of this thread, actually by showing their work give me confidence and spur me on, and hopefully by also looking at the Masters,this brings me back down to earth and reminds me of just how far I have to go. I know I won't make the complete journey, but I will have a little bit of enjoyment along part of it, helped on by those that are struggling just like me. A hobby made up of just experts in my opinion would be exclusive and totally boring.
    tonydawe, crf, ChaosCossack and 3 others like this.
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    You'll get bags of confidence looking at my stuff mate :) but seriously that is an excellent point you make.
    Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. Mark S Guest

Crickey,Paul, when I first had a squiz at your bust and choofed off that PM I thought it was abso bloody lutely schmick as. Some parts were at bit iffy but obviously you'd put some hard yakka into it.
    A touch up here and there and you'd have a real kickarse beautie I reckon. So Im not sure what you got your reg grundies in a twist about, I thought I made myself clear nuff.
    Anywho, pop the pics up again so everyone can have a good sticky beak and let you know what's crook and what's not.......hooroo.
    tonydawe, crf and Funky50 like this.
  18. Funky50 Guest

If that's true mate just try to ignore that stuff would actually like to see your work and see for myself...don't be disheartened as there are lots of really helpful people on this site who bend over backwards to be helpful and constructive but I have noticed the odd and I mean ODD posters on this site who have a bit of an argumentative streak and revel in it...don't give up I've been doing this for many years and have learnt none of us worth our salt are ever truly 100% happy with what we do it's what I believe makes this such a great hobby....allied with the fellow modellers.....my pennorths worth for what it's worth
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    "Hate to see someone miss the opportunities available here

Colin"

Amen to that!
    And the rest of the post, BTW ,not been yelled by hockey coaches, but you can substitute for everyone work, or hobby, or... and it's the same, at least in my case (both the "self-made modeller" approach and the yelling...:whistle: ).

Regards
    Javier
    Funky50 and ChaosCossack like this.
  20. Funky50 Guest

Come again Bruce.........lol
    Mark S and ChaosCossack like this.