1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Just another Cossack

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mariobusta, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hey there,This is the last bust I will paint for a while ,as I want to try and complete a full figure for a change. Oils and Acrylics. Cossack complete 2.jpg Cossack complete 3.jpg Cossack complete 1.jpg Cossack complete 4.jpg
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Excellent brushwork
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi there ,

Very nice work indeed , the colours work well together ...this is a very popular bust and one which offers the potential for conversion and colours .

Nice fleshwork as well ......nice blending

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  4. Wheels Active Member

United-States
    Less contrast than a lot of other work I've seen lately.
    Love it. Wouldn't change it. Suits the subject.
    Great job on the woods and leathers.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This one is fast becoming a release of the year ,great bust from Youngs and a great paint up from Mariobusta
    At times Youngs get criticised for inaccuracy but you cannot fault them quality and price and this one is a delight to paint.

Ron
  6. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Great paint job.Nice to see it's done with oils which gives a nice subtle tones rather than the starkness of acrylics.I think us oil painters are a dying breed.Was the red all done wet on wet?
    Brian
  7. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There are more of us oily guys than you think Brian, and as you well know it takes years to hone it to perfection ,Perhaps a book on the techniques is needed :whistle:
  9. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Bravo! Really nice paintjob!

Cheers
  10. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Congrats - fantastic paintjob

Hendryk
  11. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beautiful work!
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice this laddo is flavour of the month right now and lovely to see all the variations on a theme (y)

Steve
  13. plasticbattle Member

Beautiful wrk. Wish I could paint like this. Love the very natural depth and highlight overlap ... the black shirt as well. :cool:
  14. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Ken,Nap,Wheels,Ron,Eduardo,Martin,Hendryk,Steve,Helm and Frank. Thanks for the positive comments guys , I think the reason this bust is so popular is it is full of character as well as being beautifully sculpted . He seems to stand out next to my other busts.

Cheers

Neil
  15. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
  16. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Brian ,Thanks for the comments .The red is painted wet on wet ,I blend strait on to a base coat ,then dry it in an oven to get a flat finish ,then do the darkest shadows and lightest highlights wet on dry , You get a nice natural contrast because the base coat soaks up the highlights and shadows . I also prefer the richness of color with oil paints ,which I can`t seem to get with Acrylics. I always paint some parts of my figures with Acrylics ,just to try and improve but I do struggle and am amazed at what some painters can achieve using them.

Cheers
    Neil
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Fabulous paintwork Neil.
    And it's good to see somebody painted it with oil.

Marc
  18. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I remember you're a fan of Cossacks Neil. You still got that neat cutdown Kirin one by Mike Good?

Good work on this mate & great to see the support for oilers here ;-)
    Just done rifle on my big guy using oils & reckon you can't beat them for woodwork,
    What's the full figure you're working on?

Stay safe
    Mike
    Mariobusta likes this.
  19. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    You have a good memory Mike ,I was looking at that figure the other day and wondered why I didn't just paint the whole thing ! Just goes to show how few and far between busts were back then. I am just starting on Alexandros models Russel Crow and Andrea's Viking on horseback ,which is to small for my taste but I couldn't resist him . I also finally got my hands on Poste Mils Ugrian ,so that will be in the works . I am getting bored with the busts.

Cheers

Neil.
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.