1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP just a hundred years ago...MARNE 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by john din, Nov 15, 2014.

1. john din Active Member

Greece
    HI GUYS! Recently i decided to work on "TOMMY'S WAR" DOUGLAS MOTORCYCLE and 2 figures kit. The resin's quality was terrible (in almost every attempt to assemble most of the parts,it was cracking in multiple pieces). Aditionally the motorcycle was needed some more details so i had to improvise (springs to the steering wheel and the rider's seat, pinheads for the chokes) and small resin scratch parts for the sparking plugs etc. HOPE YOU 'LL LIKE IT...

Attached Files:

Stephan, Mark Dollery, Eludia and 2 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Well: It looks better then mine. If finished it's some awesome modell. But I also had my moments when I thought he better could fly to the room.

Marc
  3. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Fantastic !!!
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Fine bit of modelling!

Adrian
  5. Tommys War A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The bike looks great and I'm glad its complete.

I released the bike over 2 years ago and it was my first foray away from figures. I've taken what I've learned from that and then improved on all the subsequent kit releases through the artillery and then the lorry kits.

First up is the resin, its not the quality of the resin that's the issue, its the addition of the grey colour that makes it brittle. In its basic form (yellow) resin is softer. Figure modellers don't tend to like yellow resin and prefer grey, this is done with the addition of a colour, but in the case of the bike it does make it a bit brittle. I now know that figure and kit casting are separate. The Douglas was produced by my figure caster, who I think my customers would agree does an absolutely fantastic job.

From there I've improved instructions, references, decals and the general construction of the kits. Indeed, the Thornycroft and Crossley kits are a world away from that first release in all departments.

Having said that the Douglas, when built, is a stunning kit. It really is worth the persistence. In 2015 I know one other manufacturer will be releasing a motorcycle in 1/32 scale (I don't know which one) and I'm also considering releasing another bike with the company that produces my vehicles (the current Douglas is with my caster who casts my figures). I'm strongly considering withdrawing the Douglas from sale if that's the case and concentrating on the newer generation of artillery and vehicles.

Darren
  6. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Darren,
    I think it would be a shame to withdraw the Douglas. It is a challenging build, I ended up pinning most of mine with very thin copper wire, this made it much stronger and I was very happy with the result. If everything in life was easy it would be very dull and less rewarding.:)
    Mark Dollery and Eludia like this.
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks great despite the frustration of the build. Looks like diligence paid off well John.

Cheers, Ski.
  8. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The TW Douglas is a definately not a novice's build but with a bit of patience & methodical planning, a great result can be achived.
    it would be a shame to remove it from the market :(
    I look forward to building another with the female Dispatch rider Tommy's war has planned! :)
    Mark D ;)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  9. john din Active Member

Greece
    Dear tommy's, it wasn't my intension to criticise your work. On the contrary I like it a lot and I have bought five more figures. NINO PIZZICHEMI is a great sculptor and I'm a fan of his. I just wanted to point out some tips. I'm a litlle disapointed because i expected you to go on with the timeline of figures an mostly to give emphasis in GALLIPOLI issues with more Australian figures or other issues such as brittish trench raiders equiped with clubs and vests and other unconventional themes ETC. So i look forward to see more releases from you...