1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roc, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Those colours are looking wonderfully rich Roc...lovely reds. That sure is some cloak.
    Look forward to seeing him come together.

Roy.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    looking good so far Roc.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Rocco,

This SBS is so good, that i cannot wait every day to see an update.
    Can't you paint quicker :lol: :lol:
    That coat is fabulous. (y)

Marc
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Roy, Guy and Marc, thanks so much for encouraging me to go forward.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  5. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work Roc. I'm sure that this one will be turned into a beauty. I would prefer though to see the dried result and admire your reds then :)

Xenofon
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Pretty good work so far. I like coloring and waiting to see the dried version
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Xenefon, thanks for the kind words and for following the SBS.

As soon as it dries I will try to post some more pictures, this is one of the disadvantages in painting in oils, but I think it's worth it.

Cheers.
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hello Costas, thank you for the kind words and the encouragement, I appreciate it.

Your Frederick of Swabia is really turning out great, keep up the good work.

Cheers
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    the First Triumvirate

Having served in Farther Spain as proconsul in 61 BC, he returned to Rome in 60 BC, ambitious for the consulate. Against senatorial opposition he achieved a brilliant stroke—he organized a coalition, known as the First Triumvirate, made up of Pompey, commander in chief of the army; Marcus Licinius Crassus, the wealthiest man in Rome (see Crassus , family); and Caesar himself. Pompey and Crassus were jealous of each other, but Caesar by force of personality kept the arrangement going.
    In 59 BC he married Calpurnia . In the same year, as consul, he secured the passage of an agrarian law providing Campanian lands for 20,000 poor citizens and veterans, in spite of the opposition of his senatorial colleague, Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus . Caesar also won the support of the wealthy equites by getting a reduction for them in their tax contracts in Asia. This made him the guiding power in a coalition between people and plutocrats.

Cheers
    Roc.
  10. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Hi Roc,

wonderful job with Caesar.
    Waiting impatiently for the next steps.

Cheers ,
    Paulo ;)

P.S. - Nice touch the bits of history.
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hello Paulo. I'm glad you like it so far, I'm having a lot of fun with this piece.

Cheers
  12. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Roc,

Now I can sneak in the threads I've lost track of, due to my maddening haste to get the Mamluk ready in time :lol:

Great painting my friend, rich reds ;)

Keep it flowing........

Ray :)
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ray, my friend, thank you, sei molto gentile.

Keep up the great work

Cheers
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey guys just finished painting the arms, legs and the feet, later on tonight I'll start painting the boots, as you know I always paint the face last.
    I'll try to post some more pictures this weekend, time permitting.

Cheers
  15. y_wong New Member

Dear Roc,

As always, very well painted and informed. I guess most of us start off with painting of figures. As we progress, we tend to read up on the characters that we are painting or the period of time. Keep up the good work.

regards
  16. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Wong, thanks, I always appreciate your comments.

I'm glad your back and keep up the great sculpting.

Cheers
  17. Roc Active Member

United-States
    I did some more work on the figure but I still have a long way to go.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Rocco,

I like it very much. The red is awesome. I looking forward to the finish.

Marc
  19. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Mark, your kind words are always appreciated.

I just finished painting the face, as soon as it dries, I will post some pictures.

Cheers
  20. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Caesar and one legion began the Civil War of 49 BC by defying the Senate, crossing the Rubicon and marching on Rome. The legions of the Republic were now under Pompey's command. Caesar appears to have been aware that, by this act alone, he would forever attach a certain ignominy to his own reputation, which (as he often said) was dearer to him than his life. This decision has been, over the centuries, the single most condemned or extenuated act of Caesar's life. The ensuing Civil War would effectively complete the destruction of the Roman Republic and deliver the state to one-man rule for the next five centuries. For well over a year Caesar had sought every type of political accommodation with the Boni, (what Cicero called the "just men"), that obdurate minority of Roman senators who were determined at almost any cost to strip him of his army in Gaul and prosecute him for perceived crimes against the State. When it became clear in late 50 BC that no accommodation except surrender would serve and when the Consuls gave Pompey command of the Republican armies, Caesar acted with the lightning decisiveness that, had the Gauls been consulted, they could have warned the Pompeians to fear.

[IMG]

This may have been the statue in Pompey's Curia on the Ides of March
    where Caesar fell under his infamous assassins' daggers.

Cheers
    Roc.