1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Judge Anderson

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Elia, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all,

As a big fan of the Judge Dredd universe I thought I'd have a go at one of my favourite charavters, Judge Cassandra Anderson. I have only used the comics as reference (I choose to ignore the films ). The drawings greatly exaggerate the shoulder pads (plain one on left side, eagle on right side) so part of the challenge will be to try to render that.

So far I've completed the main outlines of the muscles & the face, although both will need some tweaking.

The photos are not great (understatement ) but I'll pose better ones (with better lighting) as I progress.

Comments welcome.

All the best,
    Elia
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Dan Morton, Vital and Scotty like this.
  2. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Very good, the comic art is much better than the films.
  3. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Definitelly, especially that Stallone horror!
    Scotty likes this.
  4. Vital Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Dear Elia! I as the sculptor and the artist I understand your aspiration to transfer of portrait similarity of the character. But. Maybe it is worth departing from it in favor of beauty of female nature?
  5. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello Vital,

I'm not trying to do an exact copy of Judge Anderson as she appears in the comics, just my version of her in 3D. After all, an exact copy would be almost impossible given the number of artists that have drawn her!

So the aim is not to sculpt a generic female figure but a specific character and to get as close to it as I can. Needless to say, there are no guarantees of success but so far I'm having great fun!

All the best,
    Elia
    Vital and Scotty like this.
  6. Dekiman Well-Known Member

I will watch with interest.
    I didnt read much Judge Dredd comic books ( my favorite is Alan Ford) but I love to see good sculptor at work.
  7. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you, Dekiman! I will have to look up Alan Ford, I've never heard of him.

All the best,
    Elia
  8. Dekiman Well-Known Member

I know that you never heard of Alan Ford.
    It was hugely popular in Italy and ex Yugoslavia. It was iconic (and still is) comic book for many generations.
    Its a parody comic and its folllow advantures of TNT group of secret agents.
    Try to find it. iI think that you like it.
    Cheers
  9. Elia Active Member

Greece
    I looked him up after reading your reply. The only versions I could find are in Italian & Serbo-Croatian but I don't speak either language.
  10. Dekiman Well-Known Member

Its a shame.
    If I ever find one in English I will send to you.
    Good sculpting.
    Following
  11. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you, Dekiman!

My favorite comic/bande dessinée artist is Jacques Tardi. He has done a lot of First World War stuff (a favourite subject of mine), various adaptations & has created a wonderful character called Adèle Blanc-Sec which I hope to sculpt one of these days.

All the best,
    Elia
  12. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    I googled Alan Ford judge Anderson/Dredd and got some good images. I remember his artwork it's very good.
  13. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Good morning all,

these are the latest photos of the figure. I've sculpted the boots, roughed out the knee pads and the belt/pouches & laid out some markers for the wrinkles in the trousers.

In the photos she's leaning too much to the left but I think this is because I've not pinned her on a base properly.

Comments/critique welcome, as always.

All the best,
    Elia
  14. Elia Active Member

Greece
  15. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see you back Elia. I will follow this next sculpt.

Regards,

Mark.
    Elia likes this.
  16. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thanks, Mark!
  17. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all, this is the latest picture of the project.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

All the best,
    Elia
    image.jpg
    Yuri and Scotty like this.
  18. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all!

The figure is finished. I changed the position of the left arm because she seemed to me a little stiff with just the one arm crossed. I also added a base, mainly for practical reasons to to with molding & casting but it also provides a nice support for it.

I had great fun sculpting this character & looking at the different ways that comics' artists have imagined her. I would like to have a go at one of Jacques Tardi's characters one of these days, probably a bust of Adèle Blanc-Sec, although I suspect it will be more of a challenge than this one.

Comments welcome, I would love to hear what you think.

All the best,
    Elia :)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Jamie Stokes likes this.