1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jon Smith Poilu

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Feb 10, 2009.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Having recently seen Marc's really nice rendition of this figure I thought I might get mine back out of the cabinet now my photographic skills have improved a bit.

This is one my favourite figures I've painted.

Roger.

[IMG]
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Roger,

Lovely subtle blending and weathering.
  3. dannyk01 New Member

Australia
    A very nice figure indeed. Just my own personal opinion about it is that the skin looks very smooth.. It may just be the angle he is photographed at.

Cheers,
    Daniel
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Tony, I did this quite awhile ago but as I said it's stands out as one of my favourites, the pose, detail and casting are all superb.

Roger.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Daniel, yeah you're probably right but he's just a young lad:D
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work on a nicely sculpted figure !! Congratulations

Costas
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks good.
    Only the sign on his left arm is dark-red for the soldier first class, very uncommon is the blue-grey, but it was used.
    The Croix de Guerre is the fun part to paint. It's bronz and has on the lightgreen 7 stripes red.:D:D. I didn't get them painted. On every side one and five in the middle. Good luck with that.

You did a great job and do this awesome figure justice.

Marc
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Costas.

Cheers Marc. Even though it's quite a long time since I painted this I can remember vividly the frustration I had of trying to paint the ribbon of the Croix de Guerrre :).... and also of searching to find out if the soldier first class stripe should be red or.... the fun of research :)
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    i thought i only get frustrated by this kind of paintjobs.
    What was the reason to choose for the class stripe?? i always wanted to know such things:eek:.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I am sure you are not alone in your frustration Marc, I'm sure almost everyone who uses this forum will have felt it.

This is the site I used for my research, there's some excellent photo's of original items of uniform & equipment.

http://orkide.club.fr/index.htm

I just chose blue because I thought it would look better on my version. Everyone else I had seen had painted a red stripe:D
    Roger
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a legal reason.:D:D
  12. eissteban Active Member

France
    waouh, Roger, this poilu is really beautiful (clap clap clap)

Another one is waiting for you soon ;) the sculpt will be less than this one, but i think you'll do a great work of paint on it :rolleyes:
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Seb, I'm looking forward to it. Horizon Bleu is one of my favourite colours :)

A unique sculpt is much more important!

Roger
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Of course, I wouldn't like to get caught doing something illegal, especially as far as uniform details go, unforgiveable!! :):):)
  15. eissteban Active Member

France
    yes for the unique sculpt, but no for the bleu horizon :eek:
    the vignette is in 1914, before this color.

PS: One more time, i think you did a very good paint on this soldier

Seb.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Sorry Seb, I wasn't paying attention. I think I can manage a 1914 uniform :D
  17. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Roger,
    Very nicely done.
    John
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you John, very much appreciated.:)

Roger
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Seb:
    Because i've done this figure to, i have to correct you.
    The vignette is done trough Jon Smith an depict's 1917 at the Chemin des Dames. As you probelly know this ridge was part of the tree Battle's of the Aisne
    And then there was the horizon blue color.
    I've see alot of colors of horizon blue..., the Algerian's have some coffee color on this uniform. So every light blue is possible i think.

Marc
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Marc, there is a little misunderstanding. Seb is actually refering to another vignette he and myself will be working on set in 1914.

Not to worry I can understand how you were mistaken into thinking otherwise.

Roger.