1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed John Frost bust. (Especially for you Nap.. ;-) )

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Henk, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some updates, got the first coat on the jacket, and the first mix of maroon on the beret.

Thanks for the kick up the whatsit Nap ;-D

image.jpeg 20200409_125905.jpg 20200409_131738.jpg
    KenBoyle and Nap like this.
  2. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ah... good to see this back on the threads :)

Coming on nicely, well done with the tabs/pleats... decided not to make the pocket flaps more pointy?

Neil (y)
    Henk and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

You remember you had one going ..was hoping it was finished so I could see what it looked like ....good to see this going

Thanks for updating

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Henk likes this.
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Added the first two layers on the jacket, and painted the edge of the beret. Hopefully I can get some more progress tomorrow.

20200415_144217.jpg
  6. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Neil. No, I can live with the shape of the pocket flaps, now that the rest is more accurate.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Good to see the update , see you took off the tabs then !

I've got my version on the bench , finished uniform today ....quite pleased

Look forward to seeing more from you when possible

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  8. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Nap. Yours is looking good, thanks for the additional references, esp his medals, thatwill come in very handy when I'm getting to the detail.
    I'm undecided as to wether I'll go with the 'Parachte' or 'Parachute Regiment' shoulder badge. I have always been under the impression (but again, my reference and knowledge on this subject is as yet limited), the the Dark Blue on light Blue Blue 'parachute regiment ' was worn by the actuall Parachute Regiments,and the Blue on Maroon 'parachute' badge was for any other parachute trained troops.
  9. Nap Moderator

England

Your very welcome

I went for the full title but just wasn't happy with the finish ..so it was the single wording , looked at my books etc , both were in use at the same time with the dark blue lettered version as you said but as I cannot find his original uniform ...it's staying as it is ...lol

Look forward to seeing more from yours

Happy benchtime

Nap
  10. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Todays progress sofar. I've added the first layer of Ultra Matt on the jacket, quite happy, see how it looks after the final Matt coat.
    Painted hair and moustache, and the scarf. The scarf needs some highlights yet. The face is coming along, but a fair few layers to give yet. I paint mostly in layers of very dilute paint.

20200417_144351.jpg
    Nap likes this.
  11. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I wasnt entirely happy with the jacket, the pockets were to dark and different from the jacket, so I've redone them, went over with Vallejo English Uniform, and Game Ink brown. I've also added some highlights, which will be blended in when I finish the jacket.
    Finished the basic skin tone, and the hair, next I'll add a few highlights and shadows.
    Shirt and scarf need to be finished, and I'll leave the beret till last.

20200430_151306.jpg 20200430_151335.jpg 20200430_151409.jpg 20200430_151615.jpg
    Chris Oldfield and MCPWilk like this.
  12. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Todays progress.
    I've changed the colour of his shirt, the contrast works beter. I've painted the final coat of maroon on the beret, aswel as the badge. Coloured in the ribbons, painted the rank insignia in bronze. I've left the rank insignia as they were sculpted, and as theres no backing to them, I've finished them as a metal crown and star.
    Looking at a massively blown up picture shows a number of areas where I need to do some remedial work, but it starting to come together. 20200503_123205.jpg
    Old Pete likes this.
  13. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oh, look what the cat dragged in...:angelic:
    'Tis been a bit of a year, but things having settled a bit, I've been getting my painting mojo back, and finally managed to drag my behind back to the computer...

So, time for an update. After getting settled in my new flat, I got my modeling juices flowing, but mainly armour projects. Recently, however, I've hit a new flow for figures, and have been quite busy the last few months. Without further ado, the finished bust of John Frost. I did do the scene on the back, but a small disaster with the masking fluid means a need to start that again. Waiting for a new needle/nozzle for my airbrush.

20210310_103318.jpg 20210310_103148.jpg 20210310_103207.jpg
    malc, Nap, Old Pete and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Blimey I had forgot about this ! Goodcto see it finished , glad you removed the staff tabs as well

The background you mentioned sounds interesting hope we see it with the piece

Glad to hear your more settled now , hope flat is nice and I am sure the bench area is sorted !

Look forward to more from it

Nap
  15. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Nap,

Yes, I'll redo the back, and post it in the showcase thread. Yeah, I removed the tabs and trimmed his moustache a bit. The bench area is a work in progress, I keep moving things around.
    Nap likes this.