Johan de Wittlaan

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Barke02, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Planeteers, I thought I'd offer up my latest 'putty pushin' session. I don't know about you, but I tend to get bored unless I have several projects on the go at once. As one project nears completion, another is started, and yet another is forming in one's mind! Progress on 'Killick's patrol' is very monotonous at the moment, so I need something new to keep sculpting exciting!
    This is what I found. Anyone who has a copy of 'Operation Market Garden, Then And Now' or the Concord book 'German Armoured Units At Arnhem' will recognize this photo of a Luftwaffe 2cm flak from Deleen's airfild defences, reassigned to SS Panzer Flak. Abt. 9, positioned on the corner of Johan de Wittlaan and Boulevard Heuvelink. What drew my interest to it was the fact that the chap on the right swigging out of the bottle is kriegsberichter (war correspondant) Erich Wenzel, who would after go on to take some of the most well know photos of the Arnhem battle. First up here is the image I wish to recreate in miniature..

Attached Files:

2. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The next step is to get familiar with the subject. Generally when you look at something your brain just puts pre-recognized images together to make a final assumption, but dosen't actually study what's really there....... the classic example being those silly little icons attatched to posts... two dots and a curve and you have a face! I find the best way to observe a subject is to draw it...

Attached Files:

3. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Then a watercolour...

Attached Files:

4. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Excellent renderings Jonathan, looking forward to seeing the next step.
  5. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I only ever sculpt on a Friday and a Saturday night, usually with some beer, or wine, or something stronger! I sculpt heads in one session...if they don't work they're trashed! Patience is the name of the game...failure is necessary! To any sculptors out there who aren't happy with what they are producing at the moment....hang in there! It took me a good five years to produce even an average looking head...it will come!

Attached Files:

6. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Once I've capture one single facial likness I'm happy, ...the scene can go ahead. Here I've added some ears...... The armatures are made from a very flexible white metal wire possibly aluminum, I'm not sure, it was dug out of a skip at the Royal Artillery barracks at Woolwich years ago. The armatures are poised to stand up by themselves...

Attached Files:

7. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The soles and heels of the boots are made from plastic-card....

Attached Files:

8. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Plastic card soles...

Attached Files:

9. ausf Active Member

United-States
    Beautiful work. You've really caught the officer's expression.
  10. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Jeff, Wenzel's really got that 'shit we've had it, let's get pissed' look about him!
  11. Szaven New Member

Germany
    Your wire manikins are looking so lively!

Is it Macig Sculp you are using?
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great work so far Jonathan! I assume by the looks these guys are 35th? Are you going to use an existing kit for the flak gun? Keep us posted, it's coming together nicely!

Jay H.
    OKC
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    So far so good, looking forward to you next step.

Cheers
    Roc
  14. Hardy Guest

Superb work. Hardy
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work.

marc
  16. Pekka Active Member

Finland
    Excellent WIP. Love your artwork .The faces are great. DO you mean that you sculp them in one go, without carving etc??
    Pekka N.
  17. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi jay, these guys are 1/16th and not 1/35th. I'm in awe of chaps like Demchenko, who just posted his 35th Willem Dafoe figure, but myself I could never achieve levels of detail like that. As for the 2cm flak I, I do have Verlindens kit, but it's in 1/15th and not 1/16th! People who don't work in this scale would probably think it's close enough.....but really the difference is para mount. Figures in 1/16th can vary in height, but equipment should be to the exact scale measurements. I now a lot of people still refer to these scales as 120mm.... perhaps that was fine when Verlinden, Fort Royal and the rest first introduced us to to these scales back in the mid 90's, but it doesn't cut the mustard these days! As an example I'm 192cm tall (or 6' 3 1/2" in old money), that makes my scale height exactly 120mm in 1/16th. With 'Killick's patrol' however, one of the paras was known to be 5'5" (165cm), which would make a scale height of 103mm. Would you put a figure sculpted to be 100mm in the same diorama as a figure sculpted to 120mm?
    Sorry, I've gone off on one here haven't I?
    All the best,
    Jon.
  18. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Pekka, yes the faces are sculpted in one session on a head blank with just a 'V' cut around the eye region. I have a box full of head sculpts that just weren't good enough. It can be a very frustrating experience sometimes, you know which marks you wish to make, but from the brain down the message gets lost! My success rate is about 10%! This is also the reason why I'm bowled over whenever someone sculpts a really good likeness.....calling Tom Sollers, how's Rommel coming along!!!!
  19. LCoote New Member

Australia
    G'day Jon, Really nice work so far and a pretty big undertaking as well doing 4 figures in one hit. I know just how difficult it can be at times.
    Look forward to seeing more progress.
    Leigh
  20. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    A very promising thread !