1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jo Sonja limited palette

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by Eludia, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jay, and a belated welcome to PF (y)

My main oil palette is very similar:

Alizarin Crimson
    Cad Scarlet
    Ultramarine Blue
    Phthalo Blue (Winsor Blue)
    Cad Yellow Light
    Gold Ochre
    Burnt Umber
    Titanium White

Again, the main colours I use are AC, UB, GO, BU and TW with the brighter colours kept in reserve.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Although I use oils I am sure that this will help with other media.
    This helped me reduce the pallet but most of all gave me a better know how with colour mixing.

I hope this is useful

Keith
    Borek, Scotty, Chrisr and 4 others like this.
  3. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom

Cheers for the response and the belated welcome (y)
    anstontyke, garyhiggins and Eludia like this.
  4. Jay-BFG Active Member

United-Kingdom

I've seen this and forgotten I even have a print out somewhere
    anstontyke, garyhiggins and Wings5797 like this.
  5. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My palette is based on the Mark Carder videos although I tend to use Gold Ochre instead of Cad Yellow Light (its there if I need it ;)). His other videos on his site (and Youtube) are also very helpful, worth checking out (y)
  6. Brad New Member

can someone be so kind as to explain what is magic mix that was mentioned? thanks, Brad
    anstontyke, Eludia and garyhiggins like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    anstontyke and garyhiggins like this.
  8. Brad New Member

Thanks Napoleon for your response. If I may, some follow up questions. I believe I understand the difference between the magic mix and the extender but if you can flesh out the difference in use, I'd appreciate it. Also, how did tube paint get into the bottles pictured?
    Thanks, Brad
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Honestly Billy, "it's on a shelf in a tupperware box" ? That's like being an olympic swimmer and wearing waterings just in case :).
    I have always gone with the theory that the more colours you put into a mix the more likely it is to go muddy, so use as few as you can. (Of course if you want a muddy mix for stains on clothing ageing etc. just do your mix then muddy it up afterwards).
    Gary.
    anstontyke, Wings5797 and Eludia like this.
  10. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Brad,
    First of all, since you are new let me welcome you to a group of great guys and gals with a mutual interest. Second; let me brief you on the fact that there are only two people in history that have the name Napoleon....:)

Wayne
  12. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Napoleon III, that makes three. ;):D
    anstontyke, Wings5797 and garyhiggins like this.
  13. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Our Napoleon is the only one that counts, all previous versions are merely pale imitations :rolleyes:.
    anstontyke and billyturnip like this.
  14. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    (y).......He's alright......it's his left side that's messed up....:)
  15. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Brad and welcome to PF (y)

The flow medium (extender) is essentially just the acrylic carrier without pigment and is mainly used for thinning (although I have been using water with a touch each of flow improver and liquid retarder lately and its been just as good (and cheaper)).

Magic Mix is a glaze medium with a little bit of sealer added so that it doesn't lift so easily when you add more layers on top of it. You can get more or less the same effect by thinning the paint right down but with the flow medium or homebrew thinner but the paint film is a little bit more fragile without the sealer and tends to lift a little bit easier if you scrub over it too much.

I decant all my acrylic paint into dropper bottles to make them easier to manage. Some of the thicker JS paints may need a few drops of Flow Medium to loosen them up a bit. I'm thinking of swapping from Vallejo bottles though as a lot of them arrive with split nozzles (a problem with Vallejo bottles throughout their ranges).
  16. Brad New Member

So just squeeze the paint out of the tube into a bottle, thin it and go?
    anstontyke, garyhiggins and Eludia like this.
  17. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  18. Brad New Member

Cool, Thanks. Have to order some paints as the are not locally available. Thanks again. Brad
    anstontyke and Eludia like this.
  19. Brad New Member

Last follow up, (hopefully) with all the other brands like Vallejo, Etc. And other tube brands, Academy, W&N, why Jo Sonja?
    anstontyke likes this.
  20. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Sorry Billy Brad's got me intrigued now, why Jo Sonja ?:)
    anstontyke likes this.