1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jo Sonja color US uniform

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by mkdevries, Jun 3, 2019.

1. mkdevries New Member

Hi I was wondering if people had suggestions what a good starting base color would be for US army uniforms world war 2 and US marine uniforms using Jo Sonja paint?
  2. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    A bit hard to answer simply, as there are literally hundreds of US Army and USMC uniforms to choose from. Can you be more specific? In particular, note the year of the uniform or at least the year of the war, the theatre of operations and the specific figure. It will then be easier to help you with a paint colour recommendation from the Jo Sonja range.
  3. mkdevries New Member

Sorry about that I was interested in the 1944-1945 years for both branches.
  4. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    OK, could you narrow it down further? Specific uniform - USMC duck hunter camo, US Army paratrooper, US Armoured...….
    The list of uniform variants is huge, so how about you show a photo of the figure you're working on.
    That should make it easier to provide some advice on colours.
  5. mkdevries New Member

OK I have bought a couple of Alpine set that I am looking to paint the first one is the 35204 WW2 US Infantry Set. Then the other sets are the 35171 US army infantry set and the 35252 US paratrooper set.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It's always helpful to add a picture or two, rather than just production set numbers.

35204 35204a.jpg 35171 35171h.jpg 35252 35252a.jpg

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have not used Jo Sonja paints so cannot give a comment, but I assume you'll have to mix your own to achieve a required colour.
    However, when painting Americans in WW2 I have regularly used the two Lifecolor sets:-

LC-CS17.jpg lc-cs18.jpg

They are easy to use, dry completely matt, and intermixing yields a large range of hues.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    oldtrousers likes this.
  8. mkdevries New Member

Thanks I have looked at this brand. I have used vallejo but I hate how the paint separates out and the bottle clogs easily. Quick question does Lifecolors paint stay in solution better than Vallejo or does it separate also.
  9. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

I have the Lifecolor sets Andrew posted and they are excellent. The colors are spot on, dry matte, and the paint is very easy to work with on the wet palette. I have also mixed the Lifecolour paints in these sets with Vallejo for shading and highlighting with no problems.

Scott
  10. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Unlike Vallejo and other paints in dropper bottles, which can have a clogging issue, The Lifecolor paints come in wide necked bottles.
    This is set 1 in its box:

IMG_3591r.jpg

and ready for use after a good shake:

IMG_3592r.jpg

I've had both sets for years, and they're still as good as when I got them.

Cheer,
    Andrew
    Nap likes this.
  11. mkdevries New Member

If I where to try Jo Sonja would moss green be a good choice?
  12. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You really need to check the various colours that were used by the US Army against your Jo Sonja colours / mixes.
    A good reference to begin might be:-
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_uniforms_in_World_War_II
    Just take the colours (e.g. olive drab shade 33) and feed into Google to give you an idea of the colour required.
    For a quick reference, the following site has a number of uniforms and equipment used by various armies in WW2:
    https://historydaily.org/world-war-2-military-uniforms
    Happy researching.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Nap likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Hi there

Andrew has a good link there but as with so many uniforms many variations with wear , new, etc the LC sets are a good starting point but mixing etc will be needed to achieve highs , shadows etc .....the same applies to JS

Looking through mine here's what Ibwould be looking at having on my wet pallete

image.jpeg

Hope this helps a little

Happy benchtime

Nap