Completed JMD Norman Knight Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Glen, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Glen Active Member

United-States
    This is my take on JMD's Norman Knight (also in progress by Marta). My piece had a large sinkhole in the inner half of the left eye which also took out a chunk of the upper nose. I made a few attempts at re-sculpting the eye, socket, and nose, but things just didn't turn out - too big, small, crooked, narrow, take your pick. I eventually decided on an eye patch; basically what would be a single piece of leather covering the eye socket, then tapering to a pair of straps that tied around the back of the head. I left the nose intact. Floquil Model Railroad Primer and Reaper acrylic paints.

Questions and comments welcomed.

And a tip of the hat to Marta for providing the inspiration.

Cheers,

Glen

Attached Files:

Edorta, yeo_64, Steve and 2 others like this.
  2. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I would have sent the bust back for a replacement but it just goes to show what can be done with a bad casting.I really like what you've done with him and your paint job is excellent .
    Brian
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Glen, Great painting on your knight. The eye patch looks terrific. A nice way to fix a casting flaw. One comment though, since the eye socket was damaged, and you went with the patch, did you consider adding a scar to the left side of face, below the eye patch? It would look as though his eye was slashed by a sword or knife, hence the patch. I really do like your rendering of this piece. The chainmail, face, beard, and clothing are all excellent. Regards, SG:happy:
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Nice job on making lemonade out of a lemon. Like Brian said, most of us would have pitched a fit and sent it back... you made a commercial (defective) bust and made it your own.
    Well done!
    If I had to say one thing about it, I would have liked to have seen him a little more weatherbeaten... but that's just my opinion.

Good work

Colin
  5. Nap A Fixture

England
    Glen ,

Thats a real shame about the bust but to be honest I really like what you have done , good recovery , adds another dimension to the piece ....what about a bit of blood staining on it ?

I would push the highs a bit more and weatherbeaten him up a bit like Colin said and also put a wash over the beard etc to bring out the details a bit more.

Thanks for sharing your take on a good bust (normally!!!!)

Nap
  6. marta Active Member

United-Kingdom
    @Glen: excellent idea, and great execution. I hope I can finish mine soon:D

@Brian: to be honest the hole in the corner of his eye is mor of a sculpt issue than cast issue. Mine is exactly the same... and at this point I wish I had the same idea as Glen. Painting this part of the face is such a pain;p
  7. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I had considered some degree of scarring, even more so after Marta had started hers, but I opted to keep things simple. The patch already points to some kind of wound, so I didn't feel the need for further embellishment. Like-wise for fresh wounds and blood. In hindsight, the bust is a bit of a contrast. The face depicts an older, grizzled veteran and, while there is some wear and cracking on the shoulder belt, there is no depiction of facial scarring or wear and tear to the mail or the leather strap that secures the aventail. As such, pinning it down to a specific moment in time is a little difficult. The face indicates older, while the lack of scarring indicates very good and/or lucky. The lack of battle damage anywhere on the bust indicates pre-combat, or at least nothing recent. Whether this was by design or accident, I have no idea.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Slainte,

Glen
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You solved the problem excellent. As we say: a blessing in disquise.
    Painting is great.

marc
  9. Ulrich PlanetFigure Supporter

Germany
    Great idea to fix the problem. And the painting is great as well
  10. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Thanks you both. I appreciate it. I have to admit I was pleased with the way the patch came out and altered the look of the bust. I normally paint 54mm medieval foot subjects, but lately I've been getting into a bust here and there (this is my fifth), flats, and pin-up babes. Variety is the spice of life and all that...

Cheers,

Glen