1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils JMD Knight (completed)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by arxo, Jul 11, 2013.

1. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Hello to all PF members,

I'd like to present my latest work on this little gem from JMD, Medieval Knight. It is painted with oils (except chain mail, in printer's ink) and all comments are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

IMG_5678.jpg IMG_5680.jpg IMG_5681.jpg IMG_5682.jpg
    Mark S, YongA01, NickM and 4 others like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work.
    Like every thinny piece of it.

marc
  3. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you marc, really appreciate that you liked it...
  4. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    greath paintwork,can you tell me how you paint the chainmail? like a real
  5. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you fabrizio...At first I basecoated the chain mail with acrylic black, then used silver printer's ink mixed with oil (black or burnt umber) and dry brushed the entire area...at some areas I used a little more brown oil or black to give the impression of dirt. In the areas where there is some curve of the neck I also used more black or brown. At the end I used pure printer's ink, again drybrushing, for highlights. Although I tried to use some acrylic inks I didn't rely on them. I just placed a small quantity at some areas but not that much. I think that another way is to basecoat with silver and then use inks for shadows. Glad you liked it...
  6. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great work
    Vincent
    arxo likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks very nice indeed
    Steve
  8. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you all!
  9. gregmarm Active Member

Greece
    great painting work!!!
  10. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Lovely painting, it looks great!
  11. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you!
  12. Blackship Active Member

Greece
    Good paint job .Looks good !
  13. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you all!
  14. Gerry Active Member

Very Nice Painting arxo and nice to see you paint in oils!
  15. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you Gerry. I think I am finding my way with oils. I find them perfect for leather parts and flesh. I'll stick with them for some more time! ;-p
  16. Gerry Active Member

hi arxo they are the best for flesh IMHO and for any leather parts you cant go wrong! patience is all you need with oils!:happy:
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Great job on this little fella Arxo. Particularly like the way you've handled the eyes, I've always felt that these were the 'acid test' on this particular bust.
    Cheers
    Derek
  18. arxo Active Member

Greece
    @Derek: The eyes were sheer TERROR! What you see is the second attempt. I found it extremely difficult to paint the eyes in one go. I had trouble finding the correct dilution of the oil paint to begin with. Then I drew two black dots, but under the lamp I was working the shine was so much and the paint was so wet I couldn't so much as to see where to place the second color not to say actually place the color. And if my hand was shaky just so, or the brush not clean enough, a smear was the result and I had to clean and restart. I am seriously considering of painting eyes only with acrylics, but well, if you are not pushing yourself hard enough, you don't get any better. My conclusion is what Gerry proposed: Patience. I think I am going to paint eyes in layers and only if the underlying layer is totally dry. Any suggestions?