1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

jesmonite resin?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Scotty, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Has anyone used Jesmonite for casting? Any recommendations?
    Cheers,
    Scotty.
  2. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Scotty. What is it you are wanting to cast. Most of us use polyurethane resin.

Cheers
    Tommi
  3. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi Tommi, thanks for the quick response.
    I'm going to try my hand at a 200mm figure, I've cast using other stuff before, the resin for chessmen and white metal for example but found this during a search and thought I'd check it out.
    I am thinking about your services if I'm happy with my results.
    All the best,
    Scotty.
  4. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Scotty

I do not know anyone that has used this for figure casting, I thinks its more suited/aimed at decorative mouldings and glass reinforced laminates.

Yer drop me a message if and when you are ready with you project.

Good luck with the 200mm piece

Cheers
    Tommi
  5. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks, will do. Suitable for a large badge (6" tall 3/4" thick) for a shield do you think? I'm playing with a few things at the moment. I appreciate your advice.
    Scotty
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Interesting. I went to Jesmonite.com web site and read the product info and material safety data sheets. The individual product MSDSs for the AC100 and AC200 resin mixes (I presume that's what you would want to use.) indicate no fire risk and only mild to moderate toxicity. I'd still use gloves when mixing it and avoid dust exposures if you sand or cut the cured product. Contrary to what other product web sites (not Jesmonite.com) say, calcium sulfate is not harmless to humans or the environment, but it has a low order of toxicity.

I would be curious about how thick the mixed product would be. Maybe you could use less calcium sulfate base vs. the acrylic hardener. I'm sure they sell a thinner, but I couldn't find it.

All the best,
    Dan
    Scotty likes this.
  7. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Dan,
    That's pretty complicated for an old infanteer but I would like to try casting my own stuff. I'll need to experiment I think. Thank you for the input.
    Scotty.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Probably too many years of taking chemistry and not enough taking English. My background is environmental chemistry and workplace safety. What I was trying to do generally was compare the poly resin products vs. this Jesmonite calcium sulfate resin. I don't see how the Jesmonite would not normally turn out a lot thicker/denser than the poly products.

All the best,
    Dan
    Scotty likes this.
  9. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Is thicker/denser a bad thing? Would it affect the moulds? What poly resin is the best for a beginner/skinflint?
  10. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lots of different poly resins on the market but its planning and making the moulds and correct technique for degassing the resin which is the tricky part. You need to get rid of all the air bubbles if you want to produce something for commercial purposes.

I found I need to use different resins depending on the environment, time of day, heat and air moisture etc., also depends on if you want to Vac cast or pressure cast depending on the size of the item you are trying to re-produce.

Cheers
    Tommi
    Scotty and tomifune like this.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Can't answer those questions - I don't do casting, just sculpting. But I'm sure someone will give you a suggestion on how to start.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Can't answer those questions - I don't do casting, just sculpting. But I'm sure someone will give you a suggestion on how to start.

All the best,
    Dan
    Scotty likes this.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    There is a post over on Historicus Forma that might prove helpful. Under Scratchbuilders, see Sean Hadfields post
    sculpting and casting-- first attempt.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Dan, appreciate that, I'll have a wee look.
    Scotty.