1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jeffshiu's Miniatures 120mm WWII Finnish ski trooper, 1944

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by pinkfloyd, May 19, 2019.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This excellent.

Marc
  2. Corse New Member

Kimmo, I fully agree with you, that´s also the reason why I suppose it was indeed a photo taken during an exercise.
    I do know the difference between skiing ( I have been skiing since I was 12 in Austria and also in France) and the fact that a motorcyclist is indeed just sitting.

I also fully agree that the local Finnish population can handle the cold better than an average German soldier at the time.
    But I can guarantee that during Operation Barbarossa in Russia it went up to -40 ° C in the winter. There are plenty of photos that prove that the Germans were not prepared for this during the Russian winter at Operation Barbarossa.

By the way, riding a motorcycle even at a speed of 'only' 20 km / hour, but at -40° C gives no pleasant feeling for the face, if you don´t use proper protection.

I have studied History and one of the things that I was interested in was the American Civil War, WWI and WWII.
    I made a study about the battle of Narvik and also Operation Barbarossa.
    In some areas, the Germans were well prepared for Barbarossa - especially the SS - but not the Wehrmacht.
    Yet when it came to proper clothing in a winter campaign in one of the world's coldest countries, there was simply not enough, and what was provided was often not warm enough either. All this springs directly from Hitler's belief that the campaign would be over in three months – by late September 1941 – before the weather turned.
    The horrific results of the lack of warm clothing were truly disgusting.
    The ghastly cold of the winter had the strangest consequences, thousands and thousands of soldiers returning from the Eastern Front had lost their limbs, their ears, their noses, their fingers ripped off by the frost. Many had lost their hair… Many had lost their eyelids.
  3. Corse New Member

Just for the info: In June 1941, Eduard Dietl took two mountain divisions with co-operation of the Finnish forces accross the Finnish-Soviet border with the task of seizing the vital port of Murmansk. By 19 September Dietl was forced to withdraw behind the Litsa river in front of Petsamo.

The Finnish forces were, among other things, provided with the necessary weapons and equipment by the Germans, including uniforms.
    In January 1942 Dietl was commander of all German forces in Lappland.
  4. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jeff, Looks like you have a real winner on your hands. Very interesting figure. Keep going with you very nice sculpts. Regards, Brock
  5. fullbeak Member

Not my area of interest but a very unique piece! Fantastic work!