1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jeffshiu's Miniatures 1/9 200mm Motorcycle ( Zundapp KS750) Rider 1943-44 (part I)

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by pinkfloyd, Dec 29, 2019.

1. pinkfloyd A Fixture

Hi, I wish you all a Happy New Year! My last 2019 release just roll out, hope you like it! Jeff

Attached Files:

• 5_.jpg
      5_.jpg
      File size:
      187.8 KB
      Views:
    • 1_.jpg
      1_.jpg
      File size:
      443.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2_.jpg
      2_.jpg
      File size:
      251.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3_.jpg
      3_.jpg
      File size:
      227.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4_.jpg
      4_.jpg
      File size:
      247.7 KB
      Views:
    • 6_.jpg
      6_.jpg
      File size:
      248.7 KB
      Views:
    • 7_.jpg
      7_.jpg
      File size:
      261.2 KB
      Views:
    • 8_.jpg
      8_.jpg
      File size:
      193.3 KB
      Views:
    • 9_.jpg
      9_.jpg
      File size:
      135.3 KB
      Views:
    • 11_.jpg
      11_.jpg
      File size:
      300.6 KB
      Views:
    • 12_.jpg
      12_.jpg
      File size:
      137.9 KB
      Views:
    JonH, Mochilote, TIGER11 and 8 others like this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
  3. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Just an FYI. The KS750 and the BMW R75 couldn't be operated "solo". The sidecar was mounted on what was part of the frame of the bike which couldn't just be left off. Anything without a sidecar was another model. The solo version was a model makers invention. Still a great looking fig.
    1969 and Babelfish like this.
  4. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Definitely a great looking figure. No goggles? I guess he’ll have to use the safety squint then! Nicely done, Jeff; will subsequent parts be other riders, too? Or a standing figure this one can interact with? Maybe his wife? “did you pack your lunch?” “no, but I did pack my panzerfaust”...

I don’t know why, but this figure has really captured my imagination. Particularly with the head-on shot. Why is the bike kit so rare!
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  5. MrBMB A Fixture

I like it!!
    Always wanted to paint a German Knight!!
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Sry, they could. And they were. Here three pics of an Zündapp KS 750 Solokrad...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  7. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    HstF Klingenberg.png
    Don`t claim to be an expert but looks like a BMW "solo" to me... most probably not the R 75 type.
    Cheers, Martin
  8. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Oh, there are plenty of BMW motorcycles used in WWII that were without sidecars. The R12 and R71 comes to mind. I think the one in your photo is an R71.
    [IMG]

But the R75 was specifically built with a power take off (powering the sidecar wheel) and frame to mount the sidecar. Most folks won't know or care, and any of Jeff's motorcycle figs will make outstanding displays. Here's one that would make for some easy painting!

[IMG]
    Martin64 likes this.
  9. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I can assure you that those are not KS750's or BMW R75's. I'm pretty sure the bottom one is a BMW R12 since it has a BMW logo on the frame. I believe the top 2 are Zundapp KS600's.

[IMG]

Honestly, I'm not making this up. the way they were built, the BMW75 and Zundapp couldn't operate without the sidecar. They had a large frame and power take off sticking off the side. The concept of them being "solo" was apparently born from pics of some cycles undergoing maintenance that had the sidecar off the frame. As you can see from the pics,the different models resemble each other to different degrees, so have at it. Its really not worth the argument.
  10. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Funnily enough I've just been caught out buying a Masterbox set of motorcyclists... seemed a great price, then realised that the kit doesn't include the bike itself (says 4 figs on the box but only shows three so I assumed the fourth was the bike: in fact there are four figs but no bike... which is now out of production and pricey online).

Anyway... it looks like solos did/do exist (Jason, I stand to be corrected). The sidecar wheel was driven by a shaft off the rear hub but it looks like could run without it fitted . It seems that the sidecar was fixed to a fairly basic bolt-on frame.

Video of a re-build in both sidecar and solo format:

Pinterest dedicated to KS750s: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/qiwariw/zundapp-motor/

Pics (yes, I know the WW2 one is on the BMW version):
    KS750-3.JPG KS750-4.JPG KS750-5.JPG KS750-6.JPG KS750-1.JPG KS750-2.JPG
  11. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    OK, I give. I tried, but apparently finding a video of a current day build being ran without the sidecar = they were used that way, so have at it. Jeffs figure is nice and it will look good, and he/we have to use what we have. I was just providing some info, use it as you deem fit.
  12. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jason, yes, I suspect that they could be used solo but no doubt normally weren't. There's quite a few WW2 pics of solo riders but Sod's Law deems that most are taken from the left (non-sidecar) side and even if from the right, the sidecar drive isn't visible.

However, this video shows how chunky it was:
  13. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Hi there, this has always been a question I have not been able to find an answer to... they were obviously designed as a side car unit.. but the side car is a bolt on attachment..
    The Germans are a smart race so my question would be.. would they really design a motorcycle side car combination which becomes unusable if the side car is damaged beyond repair.. So why is it bolted to the bikes frame and not built as one unit.. Has to be more to it than maintenance.
    Again.. Would you just abandon the bike and walk away or unbolt the sidecar and use it solo...
    Does anyone on here know someone who has one to get their thoughts or an original maintenance/user Manuel.

These are only questions for debate

Smithy
  14. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    The figure is a good one.. to stay on topic... a summer uniform version of DK version would also be great :sneaky:
    Blind Pew likes this.
  15. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    The Germans are a smart race so my question would be.. would they really design a motorcycle side car combination which becomes unusable if the side car is damaged beyond repair

Smart and logical are not exactly the same thing. Remember, these are the guys that were creating the MAUS tank and other mechanically complicated armored vehicles while being overran by technically inferior, but far more numerous, t-34's and Shermans. The KS750 and BMW R75 were specifically designed to be able to go over rough terrain carrying a pretty big load, were other, single drive bikes couldn't go, hence the side drive wheel, and frame. This isn't the first time this comes up, and usually it comes down to this; folks are gonna believe what you want to believe and even if I could find a tech manual for both showing that they were specifically designed to be used only with the sidecar, the "woulda/coulda" folks would show up. And that's OK. As I said, Jeff's figures for the bikes and the Kubel in 1/9, take them to a new level, the "solo" kit is out there and people can use it, and 99% of the populace of planet Earth will neither know nor care. There are no BMR R12, R71 or Zundapp KS600 kits. And at this point I am sorrier than ever to have brought it up. Should have went with ignorance is bliss and moved on.:LOL:
  16. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    I keep coming back to this figure, scrolling through the images, and thinking, ‘Judge Dredd’*.

It’s a great figure, I just don’t have a bike to put it on!

* that’s a ‘2001AD’ reference for those unaware of who JD is.
  17. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Fine fig Jeff, once again! I'm thinking the mud bog rider would be a great addition to the line-up. That's one heck of a mess, but it could be duplicated and would make for a great vignette, especially with the mud works.

Thanks for the clarification Jason, I appreciate your input, it wasn't in vain, Brother.
    Jed likes this.
  18. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Jason, you seem slightly frustrated.. No one on here has ever disagreed with the fact the BMW and Zundapp 750 were designed specifically as a side car combination..
    For me the video showing a Zundapp 750 being run solo irrespective of year made clearly shows, the motorcycle was capable of being run minus the side car..
    so if it could be done today then obviously in could have been done in 1945.. Remember I said could have..not did..there are no photos available from the period to confirm this ever occurred, that I have been able to find.
    You have agreed that you do not have or have ever seen the tech manual.. ( neither have I )
    Anyway for me.. ignorant as I may be.. The 750 could be used without the side car and when I finally get around to building my Dragon kits of the BMW and ZUNDAPP I will be happy with the result..

Happy new year to all...

Smithy
    NeilW likes this.
  19. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    If I remember the Chines saying correctly........."When you're riding a dead horse, get off" Next...........................;) All in love Brothers, all in love.
  20. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia