Jeff Shiu / Ideas / Uniform

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by moore, Apr 30, 2017.

1. moore Active Member

United-States
    I am looking at possibly trying to do a multi figure vignette. I have done only one, but would like to try something again.

I have found that Jeff Shiu did a wedgie/with 2 figures. 1/35 scale / WWII German Panzer Grenadier Machine Gun Team 1944-45.

The post showed it was a kit, but I cannot find it on Jeff's site. I did go to Red Lancers and it's sold individually, which is not a problem. Just was wondering if it was actually a kit. For the 2 figures, in overcoats. I assume those would not be camo ? Could I do a solid color ?

One of our club members, Pete Garrison did Shiu's checker players and did a great job. That is one I would probably get and try my hand at it.

Can anyone suggest single figures I could put together.

I know there is a lot out there... but I just don't know too much about putting what figures together. I would prefer to stay away from camo [IMG]

Thanks
    Dee
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I may be wrong but I don't recall Jeff ever doing any checker player figures. Off the top of my head, the only set I can think of that's anything like that is a set of Skat (card) players by (I think) Masterbox. Could that be it?

Here's the wedgie:

http://jeffshiu.lsft.com/product35001.html

No need for camo on those overcoats. They came in various colours, anything from field grey to almost greenish. Plenty of references out there.

- Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. moore Active Member

United-States
    Steve
    Thanks so much.. I didn't see that on Jeff's site...
    Red Lancer had the checker players but I didn't know who made it till a club member sent me the link. But it was Jeff Shiu.
    I saw the wedge and figures on PF new kits... so I thought it was a set, but understand now by your link.

Great.. no camo.. I don't know if I could pull camo off.. so I wanted to be sure before I purchase. I will check for reference.
    Could I add another figure to that scene ? or would it be to crowded in your opinion ?

Thank you so much for the reply

Dee
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No sweat. Happy to help.

Depends on the third figure and how you position them all together. You might squeeze another one in. Only way to find out is to try out different placements on the base when you get it. A seated figure on the turret might work, and add an extra "level" of interest.

- Steve
  5. moore Active Member

United-States
    Steve,

I like that idea... so my next question is... would it have to be a Shiu figure or how would I find that ? I know thats a stupid question. If I get one for the turret I know I may have to adjust legs, etc. which I know I can do :) But I like that idea.
    It does look like a 'tight' base...

Thanks again
    Dee
  6. moore Active Member

United-States
    Steve

It looks pretty tight. .maybe I could build my own tank then cut it as a wedgie.. I have done that with a French tank wedgie a while ago.
    But another option.. right ? I have some tank guys in the club that could help me .

Dee
  7. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    It does look a bit tight, which is why I think a guy sitting on the turret would probably be worth considering if you really do want to add a third one.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a Jeff Shiu figure. It could be any "Eastern front, winter, mid-war" German that's scaled out the same. By which I mean that like in any scale, not all figures touted as "1/35" are compatible with each other because the actual sizes can vary quite a bit (more so than can be explained away by the natural real-world differences in people's heights). Again the only way to find out would be to put them next to each other. I got caught out like that last year: I bought two ostensibly "75mm" Romans that - on paper - should have made a dream pairing. And that had been the plan. Except that when they arrived, it turned out that while one was indeed 75mm, the other was closer to 90mm, so totally incompatible when placed alongside each other.

It can be fun finding these things out though - albeit potentially more expensive!

Making your own wedgie is another option of course if you want that extra space.

- Steve
    napoleonpeart and moore like this.
  8. moore Active Member

United-States
    Steve
    You have been so kind. I see, another manufacturer of a figure, yes. Understand about scale to, could be a little different. Good points.

I am not too good about finding things... or know..... what is what.. but I am learning.. and that is why I want to try to move into a few multi figure
    vignettes to see how I do. I am thankful for friends and for forums like this.

OK.. I may just order that and see as you said once I get it if I can squeeze another figure on there.

Thank you again
    Dee
    Babelfish likes this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

10. MrBMB A Fixture

11. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Dee

Like the sound of this project look forward to seeing this progress why not try a SBS thread on it as well

Good advice and thought from Steve

Happy modelling

Nap
  12. moore Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Adrian for that link. Really nice stuff. Going to have to look at that site a bit more. They may have something for my checker players I have an idea on.

Nap. I feel like a real novice but I have been painting for a bit but not a fast painter. SBS. That would be interesting to do and I would like to share. Would I post under work in progress ?

Thank you
    Dee
  13. moore Active Member

United-States
    Decided...... ordered the 1/35 figures and the wedgie. Will see if I can get a 3rd figure on there. IF.. and it's a big IF.. I can do a SBS, I would like to share my trials and tribulations on this.
    I have a lot on my desk right now to paint, but this will stay out of the closet so I will get to it.
    Ordered the guys playing checkers too.

Thanks everyone.
    Dee
    Babelfish likes this.