1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jeff Shiu Fallschirmjaeger x3,

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by newtonk, May 11, 2020.

1. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    If you’re wondering how I am going to do the splintermuster, then wonder no more...
    Cut a strip of masking tape, then cut a smaller piece, and place that on the figure in an area of green, or the colour to be masked.

53F4A2B9-CE81-4A0A-B774-87DF80BBA770.jpeg DA0F669C-2875-4D12-ACC9-17F01666BFC7.jpeg A43FACCD-9063-477D-A8BA-C06A4824089C.jpeg

And your Fallschirmjager will soon look like this,

C2758557-AC54-4FB6-B83C-E1F4AE8B7059.jpeg

I may yet add more green, before I go over this with the base colour and start the process again for the brown. The rain streaks I intend to replicate using an olive coloured 0.05mm artist’s pen.

More tomorrow
    Nap and TIGER11 like this.
  2. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Ok, maybe not exactly tomorrow, but there is some progress thus, listening to a bit of Pink Floyd and Talking Heads. I will say that these figures are a lot of work. And I still don’t think I’ve nailed it.

CE654688-259E-4B90-829B-4498BD47E565.jpeg 2E00B607-868E-4681-938C-761353F8970D.jpeg
    4DC4AB2F-A640-4C58-A448-05D4ABECF302.jpeg D8456504-A27B-43FA-9299-79AAF5B83ACC.jpeg

The weather this weekend is forecasted to be poo, so more progress then.

And I want to sort out that lighting. There is too much variance between images for my liking.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there NT

Thanks for all the updates , all with really good wording

Impressed with the equipt you've got on the figure and the weapons look really good

As for camo ...that's very clever and patient masking ...it's going to look accurate

Look forward to seeing more when you can

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    The weekend weather was poo, but I still managed to bang out a quick run, clean the pool, and satisfy the wife. Yep, I cleaned the outside of those difficult to reach windows around the house. That means some interrupted bench time.

Drink, check*
    Music, check
    Figure, paint, masking tape, scissors, opti-visor, dusk mask, gloves, airbrush, check.

And then this

343AADFA-EBBA-4702-9E96-E3312F059798.jpeg
    92312D3C-57FB-4DD1-9A67-927AFCFCF8E7.jpeg

I’m not convinced it’s a show stopper, but these fellas are salvageable with some more work. I did add more green and brown shapes, I just don’t think I’ve done enough. I may be able to fill in some areas either by brush or using a stencil. I need to think about it. I’m not about to junk them just yet. These guys have been a load of work to get them here.

*always drink responsibly
    Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Thanks for sharing your progress/struggle. Impressive figure but I recognize they require lots of work. Especially if you are doing three at once! Painting camouflage like this is tedious on one figure already!

Interesting approach using masking tape, but I figure it’s more work than painting it by hand. Or perhaps use a hybrid approach where you print/draw the pattern to scale on paper and cut the masks on there before placing them on the figure?

Anyway, here’s some original examples I collected from the web for my FJ figures to come.

Cheers,
    Adrian

5CB65D2E-71BA-4DCB-B37B-3FAE8E43B457.jpeg 3941D734-2261-4F85-BE39-513649D6615D.jpeg F248F722-C410-4A23-86E9-7824EE034DB3.jpeg FC332856-17DB-4B02-94F2-72DBC16A0667.jpeg
    Nap likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

Coming along nicely ......good benchtime spent

Good on you reaching those hard to reach places ....sure the lady is well happy ......lol

Thanks for updating

Nap
  7. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Cheers gents; Adrian, that is very helpful. I think it highlights that I need more brown, maybe a little green, to complete the camo. Do you have any of the mono-tone green jump smock, please?

Yeah, the whole masking thing is time consuming, but where it works, it works well. Plus, I can then airbrush in the colour for a thinner layer of paint with sharper edges. I’m happy to keep going.

Back to the bench!
    Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  8. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Some references for your project: I agree to Adrian - the painting of splinter camo is tedious but might work better than using the airbrush. Follwing your approach with interest
    Knochensack_Grunmeliert1.jpg FJR_GrunMeliert.jpg 0c65a02bc0ff4f9cf97984b346de1e4e.jpg eddab1f15f7b94c9fedac62c71d9fe2a.jpg FJR_AppleGreenHelmet.jpg g_uni_FJtrou_main.jpg g_uni_flieger_main.jpg Jump Smock 2nd pattern 001.jpg 3rd pattern smock.jpg

Some of my results with painting splinters on smocks and Luftwaffe camo-jackets (greenish/buff base - then brown splinters added and then green splinters filled in - finally dark green "raindrops" painted in splinter patterns over the finished camo:arghh:)
    IMG_4075.jpg FjStRgt Petruschino 1941.jpg IMG_4052.jpg

Cheers, Martin
  9. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Thank you Martin, that’s a great reference right there. I’d love to stay and chat, but I’ve painting to do! Really appreciate those images.
    Martin64 likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Good references there from Martin ....and nicely painted figures as well( clicking on pics will make larger to see better )

For some reason I shy away from camo on busts !

Look forward to seeing more updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Martin64 likes this.
  11. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    I am still working on these fellas; in my defence, I’ve been reading
    6356BDD2-BABE-4529-8C37-00232CED3A9D.jpeg

And, this guy arrived

E3C586CC-0442-4D6F-B3E2-4BC5F4BABB34.jpeg

Brush painting splinter camo takes longer than anticipated
  12. Mr Bill Member

I have a few Jeff Shiu figures which I've worked on. No results I would care to post, but I do like the poses. Most of his figures show the parts breakdown on his website, so there are no surprises there. I only wish my painting could do them justice.
  13. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    5FB28D03-DC67-4335-A11A-645AF7A38236.jpeg

Right, it’s been a while, too long even, but.. I’m back at the bench, happy days. However, in the intervening month, we’ve brought another place and will be moving house later this year. And that means packing up my workshop. Bother. Until then, keep modelling and carry on. More tomorrow
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi NT

Thanks for update good to have you at the bench ...camo is coming along nicely

Nice one getting the house , once you've moved sure the modelling area will be set up ...quickly

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Ok, after giving myself a good kick in the ask, I hope to be back at the bench a little more regularly... famous last words. Work has settled into a Covid pattern, and now I’m preparing to sell my house. Wonderful. That said, here is the third amigo with some paint.:
    F34C86AB-D36C-4D7C-A54D-7B74D653A828.jpeg
    1DE692BD-9602-438E-A791-E33AFB6ACF1F.jpeg

Thank you to Martin64 for the reference images, too. Greatly appreciated
    Martin64 likes this.