1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jean Leon-Gerome The Snake Charmer

Discussion in 'Friends of planetFigure' started by blaster, Nov 14, 2020.

1. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    [IMG]

I’ve just decided to refurbish this piece based a well-known Jean L. Gerome painting titled The Snake Charmer. The scene comprises a nice oriental set obtained from Braune and with a few Wilken figures added.

So here's the piece as it was hanging on the wall before I started the refurbishment.

[IMG]

I had made this about 10 years ago. The sides were simply painted black. In retrospect, I think it would probably look better if I added mirrors to the sides to create an impression of a large interior. Mirrors cut to the right size are a little tricky so I have opted for silvered mirror paper which are easier to handle. The scene was missing a white turbaned boy in a blue gown sitting in front.

[IMG]

I carefully prised open the box from the frame. Then I cut two side shiny card pieces to fit onto the edges.

[IMG]

I sculpted the sitting boy figure to add to the scene.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Finally, I've completed this. The figures and parts were reassembled and I added a thin cutout frame to mask off the edges. The glass sides certainly make the scene roomier and brighter. Thanks for looking.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Continue reading...