1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jean Bart – French Corsair

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by maui, Mar 15, 2020.

1. maui Active Member

Italy
    Hello guys,
    today I show you a figure of some time ago.
    Another collaboration with Model Cellar for this 1/9 scale bust of the French corsair Jean Bart, very beautiful and modeled by the talented Pavol Ovecka.

Here are some historical notes to get to know the character:

Jean Bart (21 October 1650 – 27 April 1702) was a French naval commander and privateer.

Jean Bart was born in Dunkirk in 1650 to a seafaring family, the son of a sailor who has been described variously as a fisherman or corsair commander.

When he was young, Bart served in the Dutch navy under Admiral Michiel de Ruyter. When war broke out between France and the United Provinces in 1672, he entered the French service. Since persons not of noble birth in those days couldn't obtain the rank of officer in the navy, he became captain of one of the Dunkirk privateers. In this capacity he displayed astonishing bravery, so that Louis XIV sent him on a special mission to the Mediterranean, where he gained great distinction.
    Unable to receive a command in the navy due to his low birth, he held an irregular sort of commission, but he had such success, however, that he became a lieutenant in 1679. He became a terror to the Dutch navy and a serious menace to the commerce of Holland. On one occasion, with six vessels, he broke through a blockading fleet, shattered a number of the enemy's ships, and convoyed a transport of grain safely into Dunkirk harbor. He rose rapidly to the rank of captain and then to that of admiral.
    He achieved his greatest successes during the Nine Years' War (1688–1697).
    •In 1689, in the beginning of this war he was captured by the English, together with Claude de Forbin, and taken to Plymouth. But 3 days later, they succeeded in escaping to Brittany in a rowboat, together with 20 other sailors.
    •In 1691 he slipped through the blockade of Dunkirk, terrorizing the allied merchant fleet and burning a Scottish castle and four villages.
    •In 1694 he achieved his greatest success in the Action of 29 June 1694, when he captured a huge convoy of Dutch grain ships, saving Paris from starvation. Jean Bart was raised into the nobility on 4 August 1694 with a peerage.
    •In 1696 he struck another blow against the Dutch in the Battle of Dogger Bank (1696).
    The Peace of Ryswick (1697) put a close to his active service.
    Jean Bart died of pleurisy and is buried in the Eglise Saint-Eloi in Dunkirk.
    Many anecdotes tell of the courage and bluntness of the uncultivated sailor, who became a popular hero of the French Navy. He captured a total of 386 ships and also sank or burned a great number more. The town of Dunkirk has honoured his memory by erecting a statue and by naming a public square after him.

Realization of the model:
    After assembling the pieces that make up the bust, I fixed this on the wooden base and passed a couple of airbrushed hands with surface primer 70.600 white Vallejo.

Later I moved on to armor painting
    First I covered the non-metallic areas with Maskol Humbrol and paper, then I started with the painting of the metal with airbrush.
    As a base I used Vallejo Gun Metal 863 + Nero 950
    Then I went to lighten the base for the highlights, adding AV Gun Metal 863 and Maimeri Silver 003 and darkening the more shaded areas with the addition of black AV 950 to the base.
    Afterwards I insisted where it was needed with brush shades of Silver 003 for the lights and AV Nero 950 for the shadows.
    At this point I passed a couple of coats of Airbrush Smoke X19 Tamiya and then I carried out light washes of Maimeri Brown Madder Alizarin in oil to warm up the tone of the armor a little.

After removing the covers, I painted the brass parts.
    Base: Maimeri rich gold 148 + AV burnt umber 941
    Lights: base + rich Gold 148 Maimeri
    Shadows: base + AV burnt umber 941
    Finally some touches of gold and typographical silver in the maximum points of light and gold + burnt umber + black of oil colors for maximum shadows.

There are no scientific rules, everyone can make his attempts until he is satisfied. I explained my method to you, but over time I learned that there are many different methods that we can use. The important thing is to have in mind the result we want to achieve.

Following the next work steps.

cheers
    poster.jpg SBS01.jpg SBS02.jpg SBS03.jpg SBS04.jpg SBS05.jpg SBS06.jpg Jean_Bart.png
    Perseas, Sergei, Jed and 11 others like this.
  2. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb job on the metalwork (y)

Personally I'd prefer him with a waist sash as it would add a splash of colour, but he is what he is :)
    maui likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    The metal work is some of the best so far, especially the brass, very good.
    As always this has been superbly sculpted by Pavol.
    maui likes this.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Beautifull start.

marc
    maui likes this.
  5. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Great start on the painting it will be fun to watch this progress.

Gary
    maui likes this.
  6. tefaet Active Member

Spain
    Nice metals.
    maui likes this.
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Lovely start on this one Maui. The metals look great. This is a super offering from Model Cellar and Pavol has created another great face on this one which is a joy to paint.

Neal
    maui likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

A lovely sculpt at the start , the painting is bringing in him to life ...great metallics and thanks for sharing your mixes and how it was achieved

Looking forward to seeing more especially the hair

Happy benchtime

Nap
    maui likes this.
  9. maui Active Member

Italy
    Hello guys,
    These are the final photos of Jean Bart painted.

Some notes on face painting

Skin tone: AV 876+AV 955
    to lighten with: AV 955, AV 926
    to darken with: AV 859, AV 950

Tones for the face: burnt cad. red AV 814, blue green AV 808, and red AV 926

To finish with small touches then faded with Mussini oil colors: Alizarin Crimson, Burnt umber, Naples yellow, titanium white.

For the brown wig I used: AV 941 burnt umber, 846 Mahogany Brown, 929 light brown, 815 basic skintone.
    Light washes of black and burnt umber with oil paints to make the hair color more vibrant.

For the rest of the figure I used Vallejo and Andrea Colors acrylic colors, using them so to speak empirically until the result I had in mind to differentiate the various fabrics and materials.

P.S.
    Maybe it doesn't add anything, but I always enjoy using the figures I paint to create illustrations that present the piece in a more evocative way.:)

Thanks for your attention

poster-4.jpg A01a-jean-bart.jpg B02a-jean-bart.jpg C03a-jean-bart.jpg D04a-jean-bart.jpg E05a-jean-bart.jpg
    Perseas, Paco, Gary_81 and 6 others like this.
  10. maui Active Member

Italy
    thanks Nap,

... For the brown wig I used: AV 941 burnt umber, 846 Mahogany Brown, 929 light brown, 815 basic skintone.
    Light washes of black and burnt umber with oil paints to make the hair color more vibrant...
    Nap likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Maul

Excellent result love the whole look of it

Thanks for the painting great to see

Why not enter FOTM and also vote in previous months comp

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    maui likes this.
  12. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Excellent work, love the face beautifully done.
  13. maui Active Member

Italy
    Thanks to everyone for appreciating my work.
    See you soon:)
    Nap likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Pleasure to see it Maul

Stay safe

Nap
    maui likes this.
  15. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wow that has turned out looking amazing.

Gary
    maui likes this.
  16. Sergei Active Member

United-States
    Great paintwork, and the illustration creates a dramatic context for it.
    maui likes this.