1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Japanese Ronin 90mm sculpt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roy, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    and a closer one of the rather well used bamboo stick...

Thanks once again for looking.

Roy.

Attached Files:

2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Roy,my friend,that's a BEAUTIFUL sculpt you got there (y) (y) !!! As for my choice preference with regards to the hairstyle of the figure,I'd go for the first one (without the top-knot). Perhaps you can give him a snaggy "male-pattern balding" type of look (hair around the ear-level and none on the top) and a bristle-type beard,instead of the "flowing" one that he now has on. Like Quang mentioned,the current hairstyles and facial hair patterns all make him look too "Chinese-like". HTH and I look forward to the next step in the project. Cheers !
    Kenneth :lol:
  3. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Roy,

He's progressing very well.

One thing though. I feel that the no-dachi is slung too high for comfort. As most of the weight of the sword is concentrated on the blade, I would imagine that wearing it as low as possible would give the greatest balance while standing up or walking. What do you think?

Also check out the proportions of the no-dachi: length of grip vs. length of blade. HERE

In any case, (y) (y)

Q.
  4. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kenneth...many thanks for your positive comments....male pattern baldness...yes....I should have shown pics from the side and back as well...as he displays this unfortunate trait very well....something we all might have to look forward too ... :) but it does help convey his advancing years...I'm still working on a further idea for the head...I'll post some pics when I have it ready..it's a bit different than all the others..but might be suitable.

Hi Quang...the no-dachi has given me a few problems since I had to decide how it would be carried...it may look a little high, but I have tried it at many different angles and heights and I don't mind admitting that it drove me around the blinkin' bend :) maybe the only other alternative would be to have it lower, not so vertical, and hanging fairly loosely on the strapping, and a little away from the clothing...I'm not sure....Thanks for posting the link... it's one that I looked at some time ago and there are some very good examples of different lengths of no-dachi...I had just shortened the grip by about 8mm...and re-worked it before I posted those pictures...so you can imagine it looked far too ceremonial to be used as a weapon...especially for this fellow..I am thinking of shortening the scabbard end to bring it a little more in line with the correct proportions...I think it would be worth it...You've been a great help Quang...many, many thanks for your continuing interest and your precious time..

All the best.

Roy.
  5. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Roy,

Here's a quick suggestion.

I've shortened the grip, lengthened the scabbard and moved the whole lot downward. What d'you think?

HTH
    Q.

[IMG]
  6. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks yet again Quang...in your pictures the no-dachi looks in more of a natural position...as you mention, more comfortable...I will see what I can come up with on the mounting of it....I haven't done any pegs for mounting to the body yet so that's a bonus.

I really appreciate the effort in the pictures too...they enable us to see a little bit of 'what if'..thanks again.

Roy.
  7. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Roy you are doing a great job on this piece.As to hair style I personally prefer the centre one even though Quang's comments got me thinking. looking forward to meeting you in euro

Stephen Mallia
  8. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Ray,

your Ronin is going to become a really powerful figurine.

I love it to follow your sbs. That is very impressive.

I keep close !!!

Take care,
    Markus
  9. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Stephen...many thanks for the kind comments..he's gradually taking shape..thanks also for the preference to which hairstyle....it seems like the long beard is popular. Looking forward to meeting you at Euro...glad you can make it...it's getting so close...it's getting exciting!

Markus..many thanks...I really hope he turns out well...glad you found the steps useful...and that you're following he's progress..

All the best.

Roy.
  10. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    I tried to stay out of this mate, because it should be you who must decide :lol:

Whatever you "put" on this outstanding piece, will DEFINITELY "communicate" with the viewer, rest assured ;)

Regards,

Ray :)
  11. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking absoluley Great Roy

As our friend from Malta says its definitley going to communicate with the viewer, dare I say a classic in the making.

Hes a credit too you.

You seem to have a way of capturing the moment with your figs like the WW2 pilot and now this.

Robin
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Ray...don't keep out of it...I'll always value your opinion....and it's great you're keeping track of this little guy...I like the way he's communicating with you...he speaks to me too...:lol:

Robin...your very kind comments are very much appreciated...As for a classic...well I can always dream...

I've made up my mind and think I'll go for the beard with long hair and top-knot...I know it's a little Chinese sword movie-ish...but I like him...I've lowered the no-dachi by a few milimetres and it looks a little better I think..although the picture below shows an unaltered casting of the torso...I'm adjusting the master at the moment to suit the new position on the back of the shirt....and the new hairstyle..so should be ready in a few days or so...I've added a piece of wire to represent the arm holding the hat...not sure what I think of that yet...if anyone would like to say anything about the crazy hat they are very welcome...I have already made a standard wide and flatter straw hat that I only have to apply the texture to...so I haven't ruled out that yet either...yes I know I'm indecisive..

So here is what he might look like....

and thanks for sticking with me as he takes shape.

Roy.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, You're doing a really nice job on him. I love the face.~Gary
  14. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Roy,

That's a knockout figure man. I like it alot (y) !
  15. mcsneed17 Member

i hope you are going without facial hair it might be better wothout it
  16. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary, thank you so much for commenting on the face...still work to be done on it now I've chosen the hair style.

John, many thanks for more positive encouragement.

Mark, I'm afraid he's going to get a beard and long hair...many thanks for giving your choice though..

I should have some updates in a few days.

Many thanks for your continued interest guys.

Roy
  17. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Congrats Roy, You are doing a great work, I admire from begining and is better and better.

Alex.
  18. MSzwarc New Member

Roy,

This is quite an impressive sculpture-- lot's of character. I hope it will be commercially released.

Mike
  19. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Incredible work Roy. I love this little gem. Well done

Stephen Mallia
  20. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Such a lovely way this is turning out to be, Roy.
    I'm following this with great admiration!!
    Very, very nice! I love it all the way!

Eddy