1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

japanese figures

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by HansDig, Nov 1, 2019.

1. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hi,

I'm looking for Japanese figures, not only Samurai, and small vignettes.
    What are good ( or the best ) sites to find those ?

Regards
    Hans
  2. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    As far as new metal figures go, I see them from various Russian studios on eBay. But they are overwhelmingly samurai or other soldiers, even the female figures. And some of them may be pirate copies of copyrighted figures, so you must be careful and know your subject. I am not sure, but I think Andrea and Pegaso have samurai figures in their catalogs. In fact, I think some of the figures for sale by the Russians are copies of those. Again, be careful.

As for vignettes, the only figures I know of that would come close are the old injection-molded sets produced by Aoshima. They had a great line of medieval Japanese subjects, in 1/35 scale, from samurai and soldiers on campaign, to civilians such as merchants, or civilians in garden settings, etc. For example, one set consists of a noodle seller and his cart, a couple of customers, and benches.

They have softer detail than what is commonly expected today, with resin and white metal allowing a crispness of detail that injection-molding typically does not. But they are nice sets nevertheless. You can find them on eBay, too. I have almost the entire series. They were boxed with 3 to 5 figures in the box, and good painting guides, both colored line drawings and photographs of finished figures. The text is in Japanese, however. But I think they're worth collecting and finishing.

Tamiya also put out some 1/35 samurai kits, individual figures, in armor. I think they also produced a single figure in 1/16. Those, too, are in injection-molded plastic.

That's what I've got, off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

Prost!
    Brad
  3. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks Brad, that will help. Looking also for more recent productions, resin if possible.
    Found one here but there must be more......I did see some but can't find them.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Hans

Drop a message to Yellowcat he might be able to guide you

Happy benchtime

Nap
  5. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks, will do!
  6. oldtrousers PlanetFigure Supporter

Pegaso and Romeo Models have a nice selection of Japanese figure kits.

Scott
    kevininpdx and theBaron like this.
  7. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Legion miniatures have an interesting section of Japanese subjects too
  8. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States