1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Japanese Cavalry Officer, 1905

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by bonehead, May 14, 2012.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wow - thanks for the mini-master class, Mike! Tasty sculpting!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    There is an illustration of a cavalry lieutenant of the period in "Japanese Military Uniforms 1841-1929" by Ritta Nakanishi, published by Dainippon Kaiga, ISBN 4-499-22737-2, but he is wearing normal length black cavalry boots. Maybe it was a private purchase as was the fur jacket? Anyhow, this is going to be an impressive figure!
    Cheers,
    Piet
  3. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I love this figure Mike,

but I have to say it's a shame you did not go for the pose in the original illustration, as that would have set it apart. I appreciate that would have been difficult in 1/24th, but is it not the nonchalant pose that drew you to the illustration in the first place?

Cheers,
    Jon.

(All hail Mike the Good....we're not worthy!)
  4. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great Mike. Very interesting to see the sculpting progress. I think you got the pose pretty well captured from the illustration too.
    Cheers Mat
  5. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    A Little update today. I added the braid to the tunic and fitted the document pouch in place. These have small lugs on their backside which slot into depressions in the body for a positive fit. This was followed by adding the belt and the thumbs which appear to be hooked behind the belt. With this work done, I am ready to begin the coat. That should be interesting.... :eek:

Mike

[IMG][IMG]
    Edward, akaryu, igorkordyukov and 2 others like this.
  6. igorkordyukov A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Great SBS, Mike!
    What type of material (red) is used for the face? Polymer clay?
    Igor
  7. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Igor. I have been answering this question for over 25 years now. :sleep:

The head is sculpted in polymer clay. The red color is a primer coat. I know I have answered this question more than once here. Maybe Gordy can help with a link? ..... ;)
  8. alexwencho Active Member

United-States
    Right-on my brother.

alex wence
  9. igorkordyukov A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Thank you for your reply and sorry for my molestation, Mike!
    I probably "too young" to this forum ...:oops:
  10. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Small update today. I started adding the coat. This must be done in small sections to allow time for shaping and texturing. More tomorrow.... :cool:

[IMG][IMG]
    Edward likes this.
  11. Edward A Fixture

England
    This is definitely on my list to paint when it's released.
  12. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Another update here. This one is finally starting to look like something. The fur coat with it's upturned collar and full sleeves is a big part of the "look" for this particular figure. It is not until you add these distinguishing features that the final look of the figure begins to appear.

I started by adding the turned back front tails of the coat. Then the collar was fabricated from rolled out apoxy sculpt glued in place. Once hardened, his can then be sanded to final shape with a sanding stick.

[IMG][IMG]

The first picture shows one arm sculpted while the second arm has the putty worked into shape just before texturing. Inevitably, the geometry of the figure sculpt did not match the illustration exactly. There is little that can be done about this but improvise. In the end, it is the spirit of the illustration that is most important. I think he is getting there. More next week.....

[IMG][IMG]
    akaryu, Edward and alexwencho like this.
  13. alexwencho Active Member

United-States
    like, like, like...
  14. alexwencho Active Member

United-States
    He needs a motorcycle with a side-car.
  15. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great progress Mike.
    Looking really good. The blending of the various stages of the fur coat are seamless, fantastic.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Really nice Mike. Thanks for sharing the SBS.

The fur coat is looking great. I'd like to know if you are texturing the putty after it has been shaped but before it's set. Or if you're shaping the putty, letting it set, then adding another thin layer and texturing that.
  17. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks to everybody for the kind comments! :D

John, the shaping and texturing are all done in one step - while the putty is still soft. I only photographed it that way to show what the putty looks like before I started adding texture. The mistake, from a sculpting standpoint, would be where somebody thinks that adding texture can hide sub-par shaping. I only made that mistake once!

The point I was trying to illustrate was that the basic shaping must be as good as any other garment before the texturing can begin....

Mike
  18. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    This is coming on amazingly well. Looking forward to seeing it finished and painted
  19. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Okay, I am hearing the dulcet tones of a fat lady on this one. This puppy is done.

[IMG][IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]

Please excuse the ugly orange blob. The sword would not stay in place without it once the sword knot was added. It may be some time before this figure is released by the manufacturer. Hopefully, it will meet with approval.....

Cheers!!

Mike
  20. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Absolutely stunning watching this progress. Need to see it painted now.