1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Janissary Coock

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, Apr 4, 2005.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

I had so much fun converting my last figure (a gift from Marijn) that I decided to try something harder. I used an Hornet head and feet by Nemrod. The rest is Magic Sculp, Duro or a mix of both. Please remember that this is my first try and I need to learn an awfull lot, so please be gentle. All tips and comments are greatly appreciated though as I feel this will help me a lot. Many thanks in advance.

Greetz,

Gino.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks really good. Very encouraging as a first try. And you'll only improve and get better. Well done.
  3. nagashino New Member

Hi Gino

This looks really promising. The folds and drapery are looking especially good. And this is your first attempt :eek: !

I will watch developments with interest

Best regards

Phil
  4. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hello Gino,

A big bravo for your first results. I always knew AMSS-members have great potential! See ya tomorrow evening.

Johan ;)
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gino, That's an interesting subject. There are a few things you may want to look at or consider for your next figure if not this one.

The neck looks too long.

The size of the torso is fine, but the garments might look best if they were more full. The shirt and jack look like they are very tight.

The left leg looks a bit deformed. It might be in need of a little more muscle.

Keep sculpting.~Gary
  6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Well done Gino for having a go!

And a brave man for tackling a subject like this with lots of tight folds and creases.

I understand this is your first piece, and my comments would be simply on the anatomy - just as Gary has mentioned. The folds look good as a first attempt.

Keep it going! I'm so glad the bug has bitten! Show us more!

:)

Rob
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Gino,

Congrats for taking the plunge! (y)

I echo Gary and Rob's comments about the anatomy.

As a guide line, imagine that the guy swallowed up his own head (the belly should be big enough to contain the head).

Also in a dangling position, the lower legs always curve inwards.

Once again PS comes to the rescue. ;)

[IMG]

HTH and keep on rolling (the putty). :lol:

Q.
  8. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Now this is exactly what constructive cristicism is! Very useful!

Quang's helped me before like this and it is a great help!

(y)
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gino,

I am glad to see you using the putty!! I have to agree with what has been said before. I am in no way able to give the best advise but have taken note on what was given to you. One thing that I can say is that when you use a stock head, I have found it is best to cut the neck off and use just the head and then you can make the neck the correct size. I look forward to seeing more of it.

Joe
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Well said. Although some would argue that it's not possible to critique a piece on this site. Qaung has done this very same thing and it's never been nothing but helpful, not only to the person doing the work but those viewing it as well.~Gary
  11. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bravo all concerned! Constructive criticism is not always easy to render or to accept, but it sure helps, and here it helps us all. --Steve
  12. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments, I've learned a lot from it!

I had the "great" idea to remove the figures neck and try to sculpt it my self (trying to vreate challenges!). Now I've messed up!. Next time I will post pics before I start to "dress" the figure. I will then be able to correct my faults.

HiQuang,

Where do you learn such things? Is there a book out there I need to read (or maybe you should write one ;) ) I have a book but all bones, etc... are named in latin, so I need to study Latin first :(

His legs are not dagling, but he is seated on a stair. Should the legs then be curved inwards too, or does this rule don't apply then. I don't have the courage to cut him up and start again, but then I know for the next time.

Hi Joe,

Well that's what I've tried, but I failed :( I'll try to improve on the next one.

A big thank you once again for all the advice, hints, tips etc... I'll try to post some more pics soon.

Greetz,

Gino
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Gino,

For the latin you can send me always an email or asking at the club.
    I can wright the dutch words behind the latins.
    It is up to you. Let me know.(y)

Marc
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Gino,

It's just one of those tricks I've picked up along the way. ;)

As for the position of the legs, you will no doubt find some extreme cases like THIS but in a normal, relaxed pose, lower legs curve inwards. Just look at the people around you.

But don't let the remarks distract you from your project. Just keep on with it. And even if it's not up to your expectations, it will serve as a most useful yardstick to check out your progress when you do your second sculpt (which will no doubt be much much better ;) ).

Keep on rolling! (y)

Q.
  15. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gino...it's great to embark on the sculpting trail as you have so much fun. The very constructive criticism that you've received is so useful and shows how much these guys are willing to help. For Quang to fire-up PhotoShop and get the proportions changed is such a useful visual aid. Sometimes getting the basic proportions correct is the hardest thing to accomplish, but is essential to the final look and attitude of the figure. I'm sure that as you move on to your next figure you will be able to take this advice and surprise yourself and others with the results.

Too many competent modellers spend years wondering about trying to sculpt instead of having a go at making their own figures, which is a shame, as many have hidden talents as sculptors and never realise it, and it is projects like your janissary that will encourage more of us to get out the putty and create something unique.

Quang from the look of your photoshop picture and your advice...I have learned that I have swallowed my head about 3 times :lol:

All the best.

Roy.
  16. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    I have been doing some more work, but I'm not happy at all. The arms seem too long? I took the same position before the mirror and the arms were in the same position. Maybe I have long arms too? I'm now at the point were I can do 3 things, but I don't know what: 1) Just finnish it as it his, so I will always have an example how not to do it. 2) Cut of the arms and restart them. 3) Learn my lessons from it and start a new one? Please let me know what you would do, and what I can do to avoid this happening again in the future. Many, many thanks in advance.

Greetz,

Gino.

[IMG]

[IMG]