1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Jacobite Standard Bearer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Feb 15, 2010.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi all;

This is the first of what I hope will be a five figure diorama depicting the dreaded Highland charge. It could be at Prestonpans, or maybe Culloden, depending on whether I want to show a great victory or a romantic, but crushing defeat.

I used some plasticine (shown in orange on the first couple of pictures) as a base, onto which I layered some Magic-Sculp putty. Once the putty had dried, I scooped out the plasticine, and the kilt looks satisfyingly cloth like, at least to my eye. I plan on doing the same thing to sculpt the standard. This fellow is in 54mm, with a Hornet 1/32 head as the only commercial element aside from the JMD mannequin which forms the body. I may need to get a few hands sent to me as well.

[IMG][IMG]

I hope you'll all feel free to chime in with your comments and observations. And please be patient, as I take forever to do these things. It may be at least a week before I get a chance to post any progress. In case you're wondering, I am working on one of the other figures as well, having sculpted one leg so far. I am going to order up some new JMD mannequins for the other three figures, and then post some pics of the group to give you a sense of the composition. Till then cheers everyone;
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Nice touch with the plasticine and the kilts. Everything looks good IMHO

Keep them rolling........

Ray ;)
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Nice movement in the kilt Glenn, like the plasticine idea.
    Carl.
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice start Glenn! I see your time in the beer soaked Scottish pubs is rubbing off on you! Great to see you are sculpting your own figures and am very much looking forward to see what you do with this vignette.
  5. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys. I'll try to get some more done this evening, and that should include some work on the other figure as well.
  6. michelangelo Member

Greece
    Very anxious to see some more work from you...keep up!!!
  7. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Hello Glenn, like the idea of using the plasticine first, youv'e captured the "cloth look". Will be following this one with interest. Will you be coming along to the Scottish Nationals in Perth in April?
    Barrie.
  8. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great start Glenn! (y)

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  9. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys, I'll do my best to keep adding to the figure as often as possible, and to post the progress.

Hi Barrie, when in April are the Scottish nationals? I'm only here for a year so I would like to attend as many shows as time and my limited budget can fit in.
  10. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Hi Glenn, the show is on the 24th and 25th. Ther were some from PF there last year, David Mitchell for one. Perhaps the guys from down there will be planning a visit. Give me a shout if you need more info.
    Barrie.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work Glenn.
    If i may ask: what is plasticine for stuff??

Marc
  12. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Barrie, I'll check the calendar and see what I can do. We were looking for an excuse to see Perth so this might fit the bill.

Thanks also Marc. Plasticine is often used by children for crafts. It's like putty, but it does not harden. It works great for sculpting a support for items that you want to show "flowing" in the wind like flags or in my case, kilts.
  13. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Update WIP

Here are a few shots of the Jacobite diorama I am trying to scratchbuild. I actually have the final 2 figures done up in wire, but these three have a little more putty to show, so I thought I would post them on their own. The composition has not been addressed at all here, as they are posed only on a painting block for now. Again, any tips or suggestions would be welcome.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glenn, The figures look good at this point. I do like their lean look a lot. ~Gary
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Glenn
    Looking really good so far, nicely contained animation.
    Judging by the sunshine this must be the Florida contingent of the Atholl brigade.
    Regards
    Derek
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Glenn,

Fantastic work my friend. You really have gone native in the wilds of Scotland. The three figures you've shown us are each very impressive and once all five are put together they'll be a show stopper.
  17. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Gary, Derek and Tony. I wish I could move a bit faster on this, but my sculpting time is limited and I have to admit to feeling a little afraid sometimes that the next thing I do to it will ruin it. That's why they're all still bald, too nervous to try the hair! I have some kneadatite/Duro putty which I've never used before. Any tips as to how this works compared to MagicSculp?
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning sculptwork.
    Hope to see more soon.

Marc
  19. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you Marc, you are very kind to say. I hope the rest of the sculpt goes as well as this first bit.