1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Jacobite Highlander

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Jul 9, 2021.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    A Carl Reid bust sculpt produced by SK miniatures.
    I'm in the process of adding legs to this superb rendition of a Jacobite Highlander 1746 Culloden, I wanted him in forward running pose as if to just about to crash into the English firing line, early days with this one, but just thought I'd post up here on PF to see what you think of the pose so far?
    I think I've managed to capture the forward movement but it will look better as I flesh him out and add the swirling kilt,
    The resin sword supplied in the kit has been replaced with a home made metal one, courtesy of an old dinner knife.
    Cheers
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I see you're at it again Jim .... displaying a bust on a plinth comprising a full set of legs.
    You must be keeping Milliput in business.
    It looks like it's going to be a superb action figure ... again!
    Look forward to seeing this progress,

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Jimbo likes this.
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Andrew, You know me too well mate, I just couldn't resist it, and not a drop of Scottish blood in me:)
    Cheers
    Jim
    P.S. still got a bucket full of milliput left;)
  4. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi Jim looking good already.....good luck with the kilt ;). I picked one of these up from Steve ....will only be doing the bust ..lol...great sculpts these from Carl. (y). Mike
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Mike, making the kilt won't be a problem but painting it will be lol(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats a cracking start to a full figure Jim, poor ole Nap must be crying in his beer.
    Jimbo likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Bob, Yeah I managed to get the pose right I think, it should come together ok when I get chance to get back to my bench,
    cheers
    Jim(y)
    Viking Bob likes this.
  8. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim
    Love what you're doing with this one and great work so far (y)

Perhaps extending and straightening the back leg as if he's driving off that leg more will improve the impression of a full blooded charge (from some angles the legs look a little too bent at the knees to my eyes) I think that the extreme ends of the pose you are trying to achieve work better for conveying the position of movement so showing him completely off balance and tipping forward will lend more dynamism.
    I've attached a very famous series of pictures taken by Muybridge (which I'm sure you've seen) :) I think you should be aiming for the last image to give the best impression of a full blooded charge

The above is not intended as a criticism, of course, since what you are doing is fabulous, just a suggestion

Look forward to seeing it coming together
    Cheers
    Paul

muybridge-locomotion-man-running-1887-photo-researchers.jpg
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for your input and the useful images, but here I'm trying to show a hungry man wearing rain soaked heavy clothing and basic footwear, running over boggy uneven rain sodden ground as Culloden moor would have been on the day back in April 1746, his legs would have been going all over the place, with his footing very unsure with the ground giving way in places, plus the fear of certain death staring him in the face would have an effect on his gait, the images you have shown are of a fit man in a pair of speedo's running on a hard track surface in perfect dry conditions, I don't think my guy would have been able to run in the perfect example shown in your photos, I appreciate where you are coming with this and thanks for taking the time to post the images up, but I'll be sticking with the pose I have produced so far.
    Cheers
    Jim(y)
    Landrotten Highlander and DaddyO like this.