1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Iwo Jima Joe Update

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by eas6644, Sep 8, 2011.

1. eas6644 Active Member

United-States
    Here's the latest update. Again I apologize for the poor quality of picture.
    Ed

Attached Files:

2. eas6644 Active Member

United-States
    Cple more pics.
    Ed

Attached Files:

dArtagnan, gforceman and mark761214 like this.
  3. D.Lesko Member

Looks great. Love the face and the green you used for the shirt. What mix did you use for the face? Acrylics?
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ed,great start my friend,i too like the shirt colour!,very nice work,look forward to seeing this one completed.(y)

Brian
  5. eas6644 Active Member

United-States
    Thanx for the encouraging words guys!!
    The uniform is a combination of Jo Sonja antique green mixed with some Vallejo Sunny Skintone and drop of Vallejo US dark green. It's a kind of mix and match formula. Whatever works for your eye.
    The flesh is just a base of Vallejo brown sand and again using some different mixes of browns and tans and including some Reaper acrylics thrown in for good measure. I used a drop of red oil paint for the cheeks just to give it some life.
    I still need to work on the eyes and the transitions on the face. Slowly but surely.
    Ed
  6. MasterGunns New Member

United-States
    Ed -

Outstanding job thus far. I too am impressed with both the flesh tones and the faded utilities. The one thing that you might want to redo is the metal buckles on the 782 gear (web gear to those not familiar with USMC teminology). The metal most often used was brass with a matt black finish. When I went through ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) back in 1970, all of my 782 gear was dated '43 and '44, and was made of brass. This included the eyelets and fasteners on the pistol belt, and the snaps on the canteen covers, magazine, compass and first aid pouches. As a form of busy work the training cadre was always on us to replace the matt black finish with a product called "M-Nue". Basically black paint with a nail polish type of applicator.

Semper Fi - MasterGunns
  7. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    The face looks great! Nice job on the sage green as well.

Jason
  8. eas6644 Active Member

United-States
    Thank you Jason and Ron. Means alot coming from all you guys.

Ron,
    I will definitely take your "sage" advice..pun intended... and look into the straps and buckles. I have the WW2 USMC Uniform book from Harlin Glenn and it should have what you describe. The book is an amazing resource. So many details!!
    Ed
  9. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Excellent work so far-will be great to see further progress.(y)